Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Windshield installation
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
I have to tell you I would be thinking about having a glass shop do that, one that really knows these old cars.

I have installed many rope-ins but easy ones like quarter glass or the back glass on a truck. I did the windshield on my own truck, split flat glass. But that curved large glass, that is quite a bit harder. I would probably do it too but be careful as it can break easy, very easy. The back and quarters that I have done are tempered glass and MUCH harder to break putting in than that safety plate windshield.

I have used silicone for lube, 3M use to make a product that is now illegal and I have a few cans, that stuff is awesome but soapy water is probably the best bet. If you need any sealant you don't want the silicone I wouldn't imagine. On the stuff I do, late model cars with good OEM rubber they don't need any kind of sealant after you install, it is water tight without any.

But on a windshield like yours probably with repro rubber, or older cracked stuff, you are likely going to need a sealant. So soapy water is what I would be using.

I just rope it all the way around starting and ending at the bottom with a lot of rope hanging out both ends. With a lot of help tuck the bottom rubber in first as far as you can go to the corners. Then pull the rope one direction and when you get to the corner apply an even light pressure as you pull the rope from inside the car to lift up that edge of rubber. After you get a little around the corner lifted up over the pinch weld, go to the other side and do the same, then go back to the first side and go a little further then to the other side and go a little further. You keep doing this until you are all the way round and finishing at the top. The glass then gets set by pushing it in gently all the way around from the outside.

As I said, that glass will crack VERY easy, you really need to go around evenly and don't try to push it in until it's ready at each move, it really takes patience!

This is such a specialty thing I would read as much as you can, other guys ideas and throw them all together in your head so you have a real good idea before you do it.

Here is a video I found that is pretty decent but on your car I think you need to put the bottom lip on first and not just set it on like they did. But as I said, you need to get well educated and maybe that IS the way to do it and my method is not as good. So get well educated before you try it.

At the end when he is really pulling hard with pliers, I have found that if you have to pull it that hard, you are almost sure to cut the darn rubber, so be careful!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (11-22-2012)