windshield washer fuse size - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

windshield washer fuse size

We have a 1965 Austin-Healey replica that we have had for about 7 years. I have gotten the chassis and suspension sorted out and all is well there. However the windshield washers have never worked, and the wipers do. What I did find was a 5 amp glass fuse was blown which I replaced and they now work after I cleaned the gunk out of the nozzle. I am not very electrical savvy and have not found the fuse call out for the different circuits. One as a 14 gauge and another at 16 gauge. Am I right in thinking this fuse per the wire size should be 7 or 10 amp? The length of the wire run is about 24 inches. Thank you for your input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

fusing

The wire is sized per the load of the device that is being powered. The fuse is sized to protect the wire.

There are many factors that establish the wire size and fusing. Such as:
Load in amps. Here are some examples.
Headlights are ON for a long duration and the wire must not add resistance so even though the load may be only 12 amps, I would use #12 wire to make sure the voltage is maintained at the headlights.
The electric windows may only be 12 amps but they are only used for short duration so #16 wire is adequate even if the voltage drops a little it won't effect the window operation.
The length of the wire is usually not an issue because the wire lengths are short. A LIMO might be an exception, however.
Once the wire is sized then the fusing is sized.

#12 = 25 amp fuse
#14 = 20 amp fuse
#16 = 15 amp fuse
#18 = 10 amp fuse

vicrod
The Following User Says Thank You to vicrod For This Useful Post:
duehew (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again VicRod. BTW nice ride, '33 and '34 Fords are my favorites.

Du
Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

wiper

see if u can measure the resistance.. 12v divided by resistance = amps
The Following User Says Thank You to delawarebill For This Useful Post:
duehew (10-30-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
see if u can measure the resistance.. 12v divided by resistance = amps
No need to measure resistance, as stated above a fuse is sized to protect the wire not the device.

Vince
The Following User Says Thank You to 302 Z28 For This Useful Post:
duehew (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

fusing

protecting the wire is 1/2 correct.. if u used a 14 wire to power something that takes 5a to run.. would u fuse it for 15a or 5a ?
both need to be considered when wiring up the sys. thats just the way i look at it.. i've wired 4 st rods and i consider each device and wire size.. i don't go smaller then 14ga. my winter project will be complete new wiring on my p/u, don't need it but safe then sorry.... if i don't sell it first
duehew (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Thank you all for your input. What I will try is a 8 amp fuse and see how that goes.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Last photo:

The NEC allows derating fuse for wire size, you just cannot go the other way. If that 5 amp device shorts it can draw far more that 5 amps. I would use a 15 amp fuse on a 14 awg circuit no matter what it is powering.

Vince
The Following User Says Thank You to 302 Z28 For This Useful Post:
duehew (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Thank you Vince. I did stumble on a chart that showed what fuse for what wire size. The chart shows 7.4 amp fuse for 16 ga. wire. I am using 16 ga. because this is one of the wire sizes shown so I will go with the smaller wire size. Once again thank you for your response.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

wiring ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
The NEC allows derating fuse for wire size, you just cannot go the other way. If that 5 amp device shorts it can draw far more that 5 amps. I would use a 15 amp fuse on a 14 awg circuit no matter what it is powering.

Vince
Z28, i'm not wanting to argue with u on this. it appears we have different opinions on it and Duehew can decide which way he wants to go.. by using the theory of using a 14ga wire.. fusing for a smaller current draw will keep wire out of harms way if it happened to draw way more then 5a at short. so if u fused a 5a devise for 15a and it shorts and goes much more then that, then the wire is in harms way.. again my opinion only and i may be totally wrong in thinking, but that how i'd be doing it..
duehew (11-03-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Bill. If a wire could handle a 20 amp load and you fused it for 10 amp........ the wire would never come close to frying before the fuse blew.
The Following User Says Thank You to EOD Guy For This Useful Post:
duehew (11-03-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 04:17 PM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

The right fuse is determined by the size of wire, and how many feet the wire is run, on what amp load it will handle.
Example:
If we use the 24", and using a 14 gauge wire, 5 amp load, we can run 21.86 feet.
But, the washer motor engage amps is the trigger here. Starting amps are always a little more that running amps.
All in all, it is always better to run a little heavier wire than it is fused for, so you don't smoke the wire in case of a short. The fuse will blow before the wire melts. As mentioned above...
ps: You ever smelled burning, melting wiring ? Wow...
pss: That little washer motor should in no way take more than 5 amps. If it does, get a new one...
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny For This Useful Post:
duehew (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Agree with the math....... however IMO....... why would I protect a 14g wire with a 15 amp fuse if the max draw was 5 amps?

It would work well in providing a 15 amp load to a shorted item until the 15amp load was reached and the fuse blows.......... possibly overheating and melting something else etc..... where as if I put a 5 amp fuse in the circuit it would blow a lot sooner and there-by protect from the melting issue etc.....
The Following User Says Thank You to EOD Guy For This Useful Post:
duehew (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Thank everyone for their input as it is very helpful. I guess what I will do is continue to run with the 5 amp fuse and see if it blows and then determine what will have to be done. My guess is for as much as the nozzle was clogged, the person who had the car before me was running water that cristalized in the nozzle and kept pushing on the washer knob which blew the fuse. When I finally got around to checking it out, I first changed the blown fuse. When pushing on the washer knob I now heard the pump. I removed the fluid line at the bottom of the bag where the pump outlet is and water squirted out when pushing the knob. I then removed the hose from the nozzle and fluid came out there which pointed to the nozzle. After cleaning the white crud out of the nozzle all was well. This prompted me to ask as to fuse size requirements. I do not know the amp requirements of the washer pump. Once again thank you all.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:05 PM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Agree with the math....... however IMO....... why would I protect a 14g wire with a 15 amp fuse if the max draw was 5 amps?

It would work well in providing a 15 amp load to a shorted item until the 15amp load was reached and the fuse blows.......... possibly overheating and melting something else etc..... where as if I put a 5 amp fuse in the circuit it would blow a lot sooner and there-by protect from the melting issue etc.....
Who are you asking ? If me, I stated that...
The right fuse is determined by the size of wire, and how many feet the wire is run, on what amp load it will handle.

If you go by his 2 feet, at 5 amps, he could use 22 gauge, or bell wire.
The problem is, if the wire shorts to a sharp edge, with it being direct. It will burn... and if the fuse is to small, or gets highly corroded, it will pop the fuse. Just trying to simplify it for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny For This Useful Post:
duehew (11-03-2013)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.