Windshield Wiper Motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Windshield Wiper Motor

I'm re-wiring my 1969 Camaro and when I came to the windshield wiper motor, (the last @#$%&* thing left), it didn't work. I took it out of the car, took it down to my local Camaro dealer to exchange it. He took it into the back and tested it and it worked just fine. He brought me into the back, showed me the test he did and showed me how he hooked it up, to make sure I was wiring it correctly, and I was. I took it back home, re-installed it, re-wired it, per the schematic and it's still not running. I tested the wires and they are all OK, no breaks or shorts. I plug another component into the slot on the fuse panel to see if power was coming from that terminal, and it was. So, anybody have any hints what's going on? I was thinking that maybe it's not grounded properly or something. Is that possible? PLEASE HELP! Like I said, this is the last thing I need to do, to finish my car!
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 01:41 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If the wipers worked OK before you started the rewiring job, You need to get the original wiring diagram for that car and compare it with the wiring diagram you are working from to make sure they are the same.

Attached is a typical electrical diagram for wipers. I'm not sure if it's the same as your car but it will give you an idea of how they are wired. You will notice that the wiper switch must be compatible with the wiper motor for the wipers to park properly.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiper control sketch.pdf (21.6 KB, 275 views)
Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Here is the stock wire diagram for a 67 - 71 Camero:

How are you wiring it?

You will note, The power wire (Yellow Orange or Black Yellow) from the fuse runs DIRECTLY to the wiper motor, and is "Hot in Run at all times" , The Switch Provides grounds to the various speeds..( Light blue for high, Black for low speed)

The Dark Blue is used to activate the washer pump, it too is selected from ground. It receives it's power from a jumper from the Yellow orange, or Black yellow)

There is no "External Park " Wire on most older GM wipers , so you need not be worried about that.

If your trying to wire power through the switch, (the most common oops..) that's bass ackwards , as opposed to the way it works, which is different from the rest of the world..Ground is wired through the switch and power is constant to the motor any time the Ignition switch is on.

With the motor mounted, and the power wire on the motor (Yellow Orange) , and the key on, Jump the Light blue to any good ground, It should run at High speed.

Next jump the Black wire to any good ground, It should run at low speed..

If they do, then your power and the motor are both good.

Next with a DVOM , calibrated to 000, on the R X1 scale, Check your switch, select the high speed setting and measure between that wire and ground, It should read 000, and infinite in off or low speed.

Do the same with the low speed wire, It should read 000 selected, Infinite in off or high speed.

This will verify the ground from the switch is good or not.

Also, there is a "Copper Strip" or Pigtail, coming off the motor for ground, that goes through a mounting bolt hole, Verify this is getting a good ground.

That should fix the problem.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.