windshield wiper motor or switch or both malfunctioning? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

windshield wiper motor or switch or both malfunctioning?

i have a 1994 ford taurus and i have been driving it around in the rain and slow without windshield wipers for about a wek or two now. I dont know if its the motor or the switch but both are pricey. I am trying to figure out which one it is but i dont know how. i wanted to hook it up directly to the battery to test it the same way i did my starter and fuel pump but the wiring is too complex.

How do i determine which of the two components is broken?

How do i bypass the switch next to my steering wheel to just turn it on?

What are the seven wires for and why do they turn into 3 prongs inside of the wiper motor?

How do i find the ground and the hot wire thru this jumbled mess?

P.S. Ignore the broken wires I did that and they are not why its not working and they arent touching.. Every last fuse in this car is good.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Your pics don't work.

Do you have a test light ? Find the hot wire with a test light turn the key on and check the wires till you find the hot wire. JMO Or you can take a jumper wire to see if it will work. Have you checked the fuses / relays ? did they quit all at once ?

Cole
Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Do you have a test light ? Find the hot wire with a test light turn the key on and check the wires till you find the hot wire. JMO Or you can take a jumper wire to see if it will work. Have you checked the fuses / relays ? did they quit all at once ?

Cole
Check to be sure the motor is grounded. If that is the one that the motor mounts to a big aluminum frame I have seen several that the the frame ground wire becomes so corroded it wont pass current anymore. You can try running a jumper wire from the battery neg to the motor frame and see if the motor runs.
If it is the one I am thinking of, the ground wire for that frame unit is one the passengers side.
There is a module that drives the motor. Here are the pinouts. There appears to be a couple switches in the motor that feed back to the module to tell it if the motor is parked or not.

Pin 1 hot all the time dark Green
Pin2 position sensor to module Black/pink
Ping 3 position sensor Red
Pin 4 Ground Black
Pin 5 Motor Control Yellow
Pin 6 Motor Control Dk blue/orange
Pin 7 Motor control White

If you unplug the connector and run a wire from the battery + to pin 5 of the motor and a wire from teh negative to pin 7 the motor should run in high speed, pin 6 to neg will run the motor in low speed. The rest of the pins are to let the module know where the motor is as far as parking

Chet
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Check to be sure the motor is grounded. If that is the one that the motor mounts to a big aluminum frame I have seen several that the the frame ground wire becomes so corroded it wont pass current anymore. You can try running a jumper wire from the battery neg to the motor frame and see if the motor runs.
If it is the one I am thinking of, the ground wire for that frame unit is one the passengers side.
There is a module that drives the motor. Here are the pinouts. There appears to be a couple switches in the motor that feed back to the module to tell it if the motor is parked or not.

Pin 1 hot all the time dark Green
Pin2 position sensor to module Black/pink
Ping 3 position sensor Red
Pin 4 Ground Black
Pin 5 Motor Control Yellow
Pin 6 Motor Control Dk blue/orange
Pin 7 Motor control White

If you unplug the connector and run a wire from the battery + to pin 5 of the motor and a wire from teh negative to pin 7 the motor should run in high speed, pin 6 to neg will run the motor in low speed. The rest of the pins are to let the module know where the motor is as far as parking
so you would say then that this is A definitive test to determine if these motors are any good?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

i dont have a test light or a clue about the price. i just spent all mymoney on an '84 crown vic then got a bunch of tickets taking the owner home last night. i need to figure out what the issue is quickly, rig something up, and solve the issue. the wiper issue caused me to be suspended frommy job due to a passenger to said job complaining about her safety.. need help BEFORE MONDAY.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23

You need to do what Chet has explained to you and see if it will run or not. He has explained how to do this just follow what he has told you.JMO

Cole
Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember
so you would say then that this is A definitive test to determine if these motors are any good?
i dont really understand that question. If the motor runs when connected as stated then it is good and you need to look elsewhere. Check the simple stuff first. As I outlined earlier I have seen several of those and other ford models with bad grounds for the cowl that the wiper motor is bolted to.

Chet
Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Any progress on this

Chet
Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 AM

Last photo:

hmmm. i was able to hook the OLD one directly to the batt. ran great.. i then tried to hook it to the hot wire on my defroster and it ran great for 15 min or so then did not work right. i was finally able to hook it to my fuse panel. at first the light switch that i was using would not carry the juice for some reason but not its working.. odly though i still have speed control via the handle next to the steering wheel so i dont know whats going on but its working for now..

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.