Windshield wipers. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Windshield wipers.

Hey everyone. Me again. More problems with my car of course... lol.. Anyways. I go to turn my windshield wipers on and they will turn on but if i set it to a delay some times it will stop right in the middle of the sweep. And in addition to that they won't turn off after i've turned them on. In order to make them stop I have to set them to off and kill the ignition. After anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes i'll here a click. Then I can turn the key over and they will go down below the hood and stay off. Anyone know what makes them do this? Isn't one of those big metal boxes in the fuse box related to the windshield wipers? Could it be this and if it is how do I replace it and where do i get a replacement?

Thanks,
Panther

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Crazy Canadian, woohooooo!

Last photo:

Sounds like you are having a problem with the controller(in other words the brains) for your wipers. Chances are a component on the PC board has failed and it's probably drawing too much current. This would cause it to act "goofy" and then eventually also trip the circuit breaker for your wipers. I would pull one out of the wreckers and swap it with the one that's in your car now, that should solve the problem, as long as that's how your came (w/the factory intermitant wipers). If it's aftermarket, you may be out of luck, and be forced to buy a whole new kit. If you know a little bit about electronics you could open the computer and search any damaged components and replace them.

Note, It would be a good idea to check the wiring for the wipers (from the wiper switch to the controller, controller to the wiper motor, etc.) for any damage well you're under the dash. HTH

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

I don't think it's a problem with the park circuit. This circuit should be hot on ACC, it's possible the click you're hearing could be a breaker in your ACC circuit, as Forklift said.

If nothing else seems to act funny when the wipers act up, I would start at the wiper motor and work your way back. You should be able to pop the cover off the motor to inspect the circuit board. Have a look at the capacitor on the intermittent circuit - a domed top on it means it's fried.

Whatever the problem is, it's tripping the breaker and cutting all power to the wiper motor.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.