Hot Rod Forum banner

Windshield Wipers

933 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
What do builders of older cars do about a wiper system in the US and elsewhere, especially converting from Vac to electric.

Here is the solution in the UK, this system comes from the BMC Mini and other cars from that maker. As you will gather from reading and looking at the diagrams, this is a very versatile unit which can be adapted to any vehicle.

What are your thoughts and solutions?

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/SVCWIPERS.HTM

#4 ·
Moss.. That diagram is basically the same as the specality kit [made by specality windows] they work good and are fairly easy to install,, but are designed for cars under const,, because it requires welding,, and are not cheap,, about 300. bucks ,,, I second the motion of RAIN-X :mwink: Bill

#5 ·
Bad Rat said:
Moss.. That diagram is basically the same as the specality kit [made by specality windows] they work good and are fairly easy to install,, but are designed for cars under const,, because it requires welding,, and are not cheap,, about 300. bucks ,,, I second the motion of RAIN-X :mwink: Bill
I bought the complete Lucas system on ebay (used) for $20. No welding is required with the Lucas. I need to order a new centre tube and longer drive rod, but that won't cost much, the prices are on the page I highlighted.

#7 ·
matt167 said:
the vac wipers don't work in my '51 Chevy, I will use rainx if I cannot get them working, I think it's a vac leak in the hose so I'm not worried. some cars like mine do have electric conversion kits but unluckey for me, only come in 12v, my car will remain 6v.
Those old GM vac motors get vaccum help from the fuel pump too. Sometimes the pump diaphram needs to be replaced, to have 'em work right. Too bad you're gonna stay with the 6 volt system. I've got a stock 55 chevy 12 volt electric motor on the 53 and I think it'll work on a 51 too, but I'm not sure. On my car, it bolts right up with two screws and even the old stock control cable works with the 55 motor, The wipers cancel perfect too. It's a good way to go, if you can find one. In 55, electric wipers were an option so some of 'em will have the same vac motor as the 53-54 cars.

#8 ·
It's staying 6v for now, I don't have the budget right now for 12v, plus I like the look of the generator. where the vac line runs through the firewall there is like 6" of electrical tape wrapping about a 6" section. and the engine runs better if I pull the wiper line off and put a vac gauge on it. the wiper motor looks great. I don't have the fuel pump with the intergrated vac pump, runs off strictly manifold vacume. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.