windshield wipers going crazy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 02:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

windshield wipers going crazy

Hi. I just bought a 1987 chevy camaro. I thought it was a great car till i tried using the windshield wiper. The wipers only go about half way up and then go back down. Could this be an electrical problem. I have replaced the wiper motor and am about to just replace every thing that has to do with the wipers. I have had the auto people on post try and help me but they weren't able to solve the problem. Please Help!.

Thanks
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 03:02 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Does it have intermitent wipers? If so I bet the problem is in the control box. Shouldn't be part of the switch but a separate box, usually called a "wiper motor controller" or "wiper motor timing controller". Finding it might be a bit of a chore.

One thing you need is a service manual for the vehicle if you plan on keeping it for a couple years or so and doing a lot of your own work. It will cost $50-75 but pay for itself with the first big repair. GM usually prints body and mechanical manuals. You can get by with just the body manual -- it usually covers the wiring harness (but not engine wiring). There are several places on the 'net to get one. Check them (do a search for factory service manuals) before looking on e-bay. You can get some deals on e-bay but need to know for sure what a new one would cost first. Why pay new prices for a used manual?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wipers

Does your wiper motor come complete or did you have to change a circuit board from your old one to the new one?
Look at the threads where the wiper arms mount and make sure they are not stripped. Used to have cars come in with your type of problem and it was from where they had been frozen and the wipers turned on which stripped the socket. They still would work but just 1/2 way. If that is the case you will have to re-align the wipers by taking the arms off, turn the motor on then off to park the wiper transmission then re-install your arms and tighten them good, unless they are too stripped out and have to be replaced.
Anyway the wiper motors with a replaceable circuit board (wiper module) GM recalled a ton of them you may be entitled to a free one. The dealership will have to run the VIN# to verify it. Does not matter who owns the car.
A totaly sealed wiper motor your wiper module is located at the base of the steering column.
I'm betting stripped arms!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Wiper blades/arms

[size=3]Doc here

First off...
Thank you for proudly serving our country in these trying times..

Next...

Try this, Restore 60's hit on it a in his post...just pull the wiper arms off and turn the wipers on then off for 1 cycle...somebody may have installed them at half stroke and their locking up on the bottom stroke.

By resetting both wipers after a full cycle, hopefully they will move all the way across the windshield...

That is the first easy thing to try..

Hope it is it!

Doc
[/size]

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.