Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - windstar trans/motor problem
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 06:59 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry check engine lite

There is no doubt about the "check engine lite" It's been reset about a dozen times by a couple shops. I think you are absolutely right about the real time thing. A couple things stand out in your post which have been nagging me too. one is the "trained" the other is "good...". The local shops are reluctant to ride around untill something happens. time is $$. It's been a good long while since I worked in the auto shop and spent time in the auto classroom. In fact there weren't computers especially in cars so we had to rely on experience, repair manuals, symtom lists, and hands on fixin', and most of all road tests....sometimes taking the car over night. I have the greatest respect for the computer and especially the concept of the computer making "inaccurate" readings. I'm sure there are reasons but sometimes you have to rely on gut feeling and experience regardless of what the "sensor" is saying (sounds like Scotty and the Enterprise). After all it is still an IC motor and an automatic trans....now controled by electronics instead of "inferior" mechanical devices. Nevertheless the controls are there and we just have to adapt to how they work and perform.
What is y'alls recommendation for a scanner?????

An acquaintance is a builder in a trans shop so I'll hit him Monday. If this doesn't work I'll have to get a scanner and start a "fishing trip".
Have a good week end and thanks for the help.
bentwings