Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - windstar trans/motor problem
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 06:24 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well unfortunately I don't have access to any manuals here but if you have a cyl. 1 & 4 misfire and have already replaced coil pack, wires , and plugs I can only think of a couple of possibilities. One possible would be a module. One other thing I've seen but only with certain manifold styles (can't remember yours) is where the EGR valve is bolted to the intake and uses passages through the intake for EGR flow the passages become partially blocked causing too much exhaust to enter certain cylinders causing a misfire in those cylinders under light acceleration. If I'm not mistaken cyl. 1 & 4 might fire together (they usually fire cylinders in pairs) so their may be a connection there (head gasket). In a dual-fire system if one cylinder is bad it will sometimes cause a misfire in the cylinder that fires with it. Ford also uses a set of butterflies in some of their intake that open under hard acceleration. I believe the IMRC stands for Intake Manifold Runner Control. These are usually seen looking at the front of the engine from the passenger side of the car. They look like a small vacuum diaphragm in front of each head (they could also be at the rear of the head). They also have been known to fail here and there. Bank 2 'should' be the front bank (cylinder head), emphasis on should be. Ford calls them left and right IMRC and even though right should be the rear head it is actually the front head on most IMRC listings. I think these are fairly inexpensive and easy to change. Maybe removing the upper intake plenum, giving the intake a good cleaning, check the lower intake for possible EGR passages and cleaning if there (we used to use pipe cleaners), new gaskets and a look into those IMRC valves might not be a bad idea. As far as the trans goes, the MLP sensor is the easiest to replace and sits right on top of the trans. If you ever replaced a neutral safety switch you can do it your self. The new one should be set to line up in either Park or Neutral when installed just like a neutral safety switch. Hope this is helping, any more info let us know. Don.

Last edited by dmorris1200; 04-17-2004 at 06:34 AM.