Winfields custom shop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Winfields custom shop

I need some parts for my 51 Merc, dog legs and rocker panels, so I called Winfields custom shop just to see if they had anything, the phone rang, someone answered, hello rod & custom, I asked if this was Winfields, Yea, hold on, the guy said, hello can I help you, it was Gene himself ! After I explained who I was and what I was looking for , he said he had everything I needed, which made me very happy, the rocker panels I could make, the dog legs are another story. I ask him if he would mind if I asked him a couple of questions that I had, he told me that at that time he was trying to get a Merc done so they could take it to, I think he said the Oakland Roadster show, I'm not sure, anyway I told him that I would call back some other time and he said no, ask your questions. I ask and he answered and I was so impressed with him that I had to mention it here. Here is man who is an icon in the custom car world and I'm sure has people working for him that could answer questions or take orders, yet he took the time with me and was very polite and courteous and offered his advice anytime, call Boyd's and see if answers the phone. Anyway I just thought I would tell you about him and how that phone call reminded me of the people on this sight, always there to answer someones question or offer them advice. Enough said.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Way to go IROC. Maybe when you get the parts you can meet him in person. And if you get an autograph tell, him your old buddy Kevin wants one too. LOL!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM
H...E...M...I...

Last journal entry: Plans...
Last photo:

Gene's cool, was talking with him at the SF Show a couple of weeks back, always man's his own stall at the shows & will talk to you for as long as you want.

He also runs a workshop at his place during the year...learn from the master.....

Dave

Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Beenawaytoolong (Jeff) and I went to Gene's workshop last spring, a ton of useful info. Check out Jeffs journal. Gene is one of the nicest, sown to earth guys you'll ever meet. He may be having another workshop this spring. Dan
Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Gene has GOT to be one of the hardest working guys I know. He's going to be 77 this year. YEP! 77! And he will outwork any TWO of us combined. He did a 12 hour seminar, pummeling metal into submission, in 90+ heat, and was still fresh as a daisy. Dan & I ,on the other hand were looking for "refreshment". (Sill like the Blonde Cowgirl!) He filled our head with so much knowledge in such a short time, it was amazing.
Leading, English Wheel, Planishing Hammer, slip roll, fabricating bumperettes for the Merc, metalworking, metalfinishing, metal prepping, fabricating shop tools- so you don't have to be a millionaire, louver punching, CORRECT bondoing, Oxy-welding, man, its endless. Look in the Project Journal near the beginning. About 75 pics of his shop and practices.

The guy is a down to earth, no nonsense guy, that can do the impossible with next to nothing. The shop he works out of is , er um, an old wrecking yard. It looks it. But the stuff that comes out is phenominal.

Thank you Gene!!

(And thanks Dan, it was great meeting you out there ! I still need your home address)
Old 01-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

Beenaway, I did take a look at your pics awhile ago and was going to get in touch and ask you about Gene , but the other day I just decided to pick up the phone and call, never did I expect to actually talk to him for almost a half hour. He was really nice and was willing to answer my questions. For someone of his stature, I was impressed that he takes the time, when, in my trade, a lot of so called celebrities won't take the time to give someone the time, thats why I posted this, when someone or something impresses me I have to let other people know. Maybe someday, like you , I'll have the opportunity to meet him in person.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

!!

(And thanks Dan, it was great meeting you out there ! I still need your home address) [/B][/QUOTE]
I'll send it again, must not have gone through, good old aol. Dan
Old 01-21-2005, 11:20 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Got it !!!

Still Waiting for it to come. I ordered you a Syracuse Nationals T-Shirt. I always get puzzled looks when someone see the Visalia shirt. Supposed to be here this coming week. But thats what they said last week, so....watch your mailbox.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.