Wipe Down - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wipe Down

After sandblasting sheetmetal is rough. Is there something to wash it with before epoxy primer. Wiping down as usual with wax & grease remover is hard because of roughness.
DONZIE

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 11:23 PM

After sand blasting you don't need to wipe it down, but I would blow it off really good, get the air nozzle real close. If you got anything on it like exhaust fumes, grill smoke, car wax in the air, wd 40, silicone, etc, then I would get ppg acryliclean, you can put this in a regular cheap spray bottle, then just mist it until it's wet then take your air nozzle and blow it off the best you can in sheets, if you have access to 150 lbs of air pressure use it.

Rob
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc
Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you are sandblasting sheetmetal, it is going to be rough. Simply blowing it off with air will not get it clean enough in my opinion. Sandblasting will leave a very fine powder on it, that won't just blow off. It needs to be wiped down. Later on, after all of the paint is applied, and cured, and the car is sitting at a car show, you don't want someone saying, "nice car, but why is the paint flaking off". Paint is not made to "bit the metal" through a film of fine powder.

Unfortunately, there are alot of parts of these projects that are not desireable, but to get the best results, you have to do them.

JMO

Aaron

Last edited by adtkart; 01-29-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

I would still clean the metal with a good wax and grease remover and
and than come back with a blower to get any out of the pits.

Not a bad procedure to follow with any seam or pitted area.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Another thing to watch for on sandblasted sheet metal , is particles of the sand or blasting media embedded in the metal,these really show up after painting,some medias such as copper slag are really bad for this,I learned the hard way,their almost impossible to detect until it has been painted.

Now I like to go over the surface with a 3m pad or sand lightly to break them free,then blow off.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

What ever happened to metal prep?

It was an acid solution that was suppose to etch the metal..............
Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
I think if you have sand blasted sheetmetal with sandblasting pits that big, you have other issues to be concerned with.

First off you could have warped metal or at the very least you have created pits that you don't have to have. If you used smaller/lighter sand you won't have the problem.

But seriously, sand blasting sheetmetal is a HUGE gamble that many times results in RUINED body panels.

Just make sure that what ever you used to clean it you make sure to let it flash COMPLETELY prior to primer. You have a much bigger chance of failure do to burying sovents under the primer that didn't flash because it was stuck in some little "foxhole" than you do with dust left over from sandblasting.

I personally don't wipe down sandblasted parts. Unless it is just buried in dust it won't matter. That microscopic dust will just get "mixed" with the liquid primer film. Heck, there is dust in the air that gets in it too while it is setting there wet.

I have dealt with sandblasted blades,end dumps, bottom dumps, tractors, etc. You aren't going to wipe down the miles of surface on one of those. And you certainly need a heck of a lot more protection on them than your car. If this left them "peeling" the procedure would have been changed long ago.

Brian
Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

But seriously, sand blasting sheetmetal is a HUGE gamble that many times results in RUINED body panels.
I remeber when I was a kid my next door neighbor restored old chevy trucks... Always did one a year... anyways he sandblasted a truck, and every piece of metal on that thing was pitted.... Looked terrible... dont know why he did not try and fix it, perhaps he thought it was too much work... This of course was 20 years ago... Poly primer was not available then I dont think... he always used Napa products...

Point, ruined the truck... hard to look at the shine when you have all those bb's dents everywhere
Old 01-29-2006, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

I used Featherfill back in the 80's so I know poly primer was around 20 years ago. I suspect it was available even further back than that.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
I think Polyester primer has been around since the 70's. But not in the NAPA system (not until 1998) but he could have bought out some Evercoat or something.

Yeah, a few coats of polyester primer is going to fill ANY sandblasting pits that is for sure.

Watch for a little experiment on polyester primer from yours truly.

Brian
Old 01-29-2006, 07:44 PM

Wipe Down

Thanks a bunch fellows i just wanted a few opinions, looking to see if there may be a little better way. I have been blasting for 30 or so years with no real problems. I use regular old sand, as fine as I can get my hands on. Using low pressure & never ever warp anything. Blasting the thinest metal can be done without warping if you know what you are doing. Contrary to popular belief warping metal is not done with heat from blasting it is caused by the metal being shot peened / stretched.
Brian I agree 100% a little clean dust embedded under primer has never caused any problems for me.

DONZIE
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Donzie, you need to wash that metal down with a wax and grease remover, followed by a good blowing of air, then a quick scuff with a red scotchbrite to remove any rag/towel particles, then air again.

I've seen adhesion failures over sandblasted steel when it wasn't cleaned. Sandblasting tends to drive some contamination into the metal especially when the sand is being recycled. Imagine all them contaminants hitting the steel along with the abrasive. I seen one guy have big time problems when his primers were falling off because he recycled his sand which contained all the rustproofing he blasted from his frame and the underside of his car, he didn't clean before he primed!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

"I personally don't wipe down sandblasted parts. Unless it is just buried in dust it won't matter. That microscopic dust will just get "mixed" with the liquid primer film. Heck, there is dust in the air that gets in it too while it is setting there wet."

Sorry, but that really makes no sense. You make a big deal about cleaning a panel that has been sanded, but bot one that has been sandblasted? Yes, there is dust in the air. Does that mean that you also leave all of the dust on the floor when you paint? I don't think so!

If I am going to paint something, I want it as clean as I can get it. Problems will come up from time to time when painting. You don't need to give them an added opportunity.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.