Hot Rod Forum banner

wiper blades?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
i have an 87 montecarlo aerocoupe and i cannot find a good wiper blade that will clean my front winshield like that of a new car, what am i doing wrong?
What do you guys recommend for wiper blades and is there any other trick that you know to make it clean the windshield and not leave uncleaned spots or squeak and squeel!!

#2 ·
I've had good luck with silicone blades, especially in inclement weather. They don't seem to oxidize or wear like standard blades.

I am also a big fan of Rain-X, although I've found that whatever is used in automatic car washes reacts with it and forms a gunk that can leave light ridges at the edges of the wipe area. Not a problem if you always hand-wash or go to the self-serve wash.

#3 ·
A new set of TRICO blades (www.tricoproducts.com) is what I would use.
If the arms have been bent, replace them too.

It that doesn't work it's your windshield that's the problem. Wipe it down with lacquer thinner to make sure any wax or oil is removed. It also could be sandblasted, acid etched, scratched or covered with fine paint overspray. Polishing it may work if it's etched but pitting/scratching will require replacement.

#5 ·
MARK TINNELLY said:
i have an 87 montecarlo aerocoupe and i cannot find a good wiper blade that will clean my front winshield like that of a new car, what am i doing wrong?
What do you guys recommend for wiper blades and is there any other trick that you know to make it clean the windshield and not leave uncleaned spots or squeak and squeel!!
Do the wiper arms pivot properly? If not Turn the wipers on, turn key on just long enough to have the wipers go straight up on the glass, then lube pivot point and work the wiper arm until free movement is achieved. I like to use either Rain X or Anco wiper blades.

Steve :welcome:

#9 ·
An old guy told you to rub a potato on your windshield ?
Man !!!!.......Don't trust them old guys. :D :D :D

I've seen cars where the spring that holds tension on the wiper arm is just streched out to the point where there is not enough down pressure to clean the glass with any wiper blade.

Try putting new springs in if different blades don't work.

#11 ·
went to the autostore

I went to the auto store and bought that rainex for the outside of the glass. I had just washed the car and thought that it was clean, unitil I used the rainex wipes and the scum that came off was unreal, i followed up withe the interior rainex and new rainex complete wiper/blade units and the difference as the billboard says is clear!!
thanks guys you all have come thru yet again!!!

#12 ·
Clay bar the windshield...

I'm glad you got your problem solved. I was going to say the windshield is probably very dirty or etched. The next time anyone washes their car try clay barring the windshield. It really makes a difference. I do this on all of my vehicles before applying Rain-X and I don't even need to use the wipers during a hard rain... It's incredible!
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.