Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wiper issue 6 volt to 12 volt
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
This is correct. The amount of voltage dropped by a dropping resistor varies in proportion to the amount of current passing through it. This applies to all resistors, whether they are aluminum, ceramic, or anything else. Voltage dropping resistors are only suitable for heater blower motors, and lights.

What I recommend is an electronic voltage reducer. It's a transistor based device that senses and reacts to varying current loads to keep it's output voltage a steady 6 volts.

I have had extremely good luck with the Ron Francis VR-4 electronic voltage reducer. it's rated for up to 15 amps continuous.

I have installed at least ten of these over the years, and only one has failed - and that one only failed because it got overloaded.

Hope this helps....

Joe G.
That may help very much, I believe that the resistor doesn't work because it's a series wound motor, but, a 6V convertor of the type made for radios in 6V cars converted to 12V will work....(it has regulated voltage output)

Is this what might be considered a converter that you show above ? Thanks