Wiper motor glitch ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wiper motor glitch ??

I have an 88 caprice with the delay type column switch for my wipers.The motor was replaced about 2 years ago and has been working fine until now. When im going down the road the wipers will turn on all on their own. The wipers move out of park only a few inches and then go back to park. Some times this occurs once or twice sometimes alot more and some times not at all. Is it posibble that this is a low voltage issue? I have a relay that until just a few weeks ago before this started happening would click when i would start the car and now it has that hum almost a squeal to it. From what i know about relays that is usually caused by low voltage or a bad ground. Am i on the right track here? I was thinking of replacing the ground cable to the battery and replacing the battery. Good place to start? I should mention that ive already replaced the positive battery cable.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Your wiper motor also has a ground strap that you may want to check..........I've seen wiper motors do weird stuff with a bad ground.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

are you having charging / Battery Issues right now?

Doc
Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 AM

Hey poncho thanks for the tip. Do you mean under the case to the electrics is a ground strap?

No Doc i seem to be doing ok how ever i did have alot of corrosion on my pos battery terminal so i replaced it.But i did not replace the negative yet. The problem is only present after i have used the wipers and appears to stop after ive been driving awhile. Like the other night i started the car and used the wipers and for atleast 10 minutes it kept doing the jitterbug thing. It seamed like once i had been driving awhile it went away as if the alternator had to charge the battery from after starting. The car cranks right over and fires right up. The only other thing is the squeal under the dash from a relay that didnt used to do that it used to just click a few times but now its began to squeal. So thats why i was thinking voltage and the ground thing because i havent replaced the ground to the battery yet.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Sounds like your Alternator Diodes are starting to fail..

The First clue , Is the relays Will Chatter like a "Mini Shaver" or a door chime when they see AC on the coil inputs..

Swap the "noisy" ones out with known good ones, If they continue to malfunction, have the alternator checked...

IF it checks good, an intermittent short across the relay contacts can cause "Chatter" also..(Contact opening and closing at a high rate of speed).

If that is the case, the Stalk Switch or it's Harness are major culprits on a Vette..

Doc
Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM

Thanks alot Doc i was thinking of replacing the alternator anyways it has 160 or so thousand miles on it and winter will be here in a few months. I do think i need a new stalk switch too as when i am using the wipers they will shut off on me (mostly in delay mode) and i have to jiggle the stalk switch to get them to go again. I think maybe its time to quit procrastinating. Im just not sure how to remove the stalk switch so i have been avoiding it. I think if i remember right i seen them in stock at napa and passed on it for that very same reason. So if you or anyone else has a dummies 101 tutorial on how to remove and replace that awful beast that plagues me i would be ever so greatful.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

If your referring to the ones on the red "HELP" tree..might want to brace for sticker infarcation..Those bad boys can run from $19 Fazools up to $150 ....

Should be easy enough to replace, remove the wheel, unplug the column harness from the bottom of the column, tie a Fish wire to it..and pull it out the top..Then tie your fish to the new harness, and back pull it to the bottom, Inspect for rubbing and cutting, then reinstall hold down hardware.

You can get a manual for the EXACT procedure when you pick up the switch..about $22 Fazools..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.