Wiper Motor Problems!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 02:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wiper Motor Problems!!

I am trying to complete my 68 firebird, but i can't get the wiper motor to work. The switch works. The fuse is good. I have hooked up the wires in the proper location or to the best of my knowledge. The two dual plugs and the single plug are idiot proof. I have one wire coming out of my top plug(nearest plug to firewall) that is not connected. It is coming out of the dual plug not the single one. It is connected into the dual plug but the other end has a single plug on it not hooked to anything. Where should this go?? Could someone please help. The switch is ground good. Could it be the motor???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The wiper Motor is based on Switched Ground on all the non electronic speed Controller Systems on GM's.

You Should have POWER to the WIPER MOTOR direct ON the Black Yellow wire ANYTIME the Key is on. The other Black yellow wire (second single plug ) is power to the Washer Pump.

Ground is selected through the switch, High, Low, (and sometimes delay) , on the BLACK and LT BLUE wires. The Washer pump is Activated through the DARK BLUE wire.

To test the motor, with power on the YELLOW wire direct, Ground Anyone of the black or Blue wires, The motor should run and/Or The fluid pump should start pumping.

If not, The motor IS bad, or it's transmission is locked outside of "Park".

IF it does run with a ground jumper, Your switch or harness is bad. To test that, Get your DVOM out, set it to OHMS, R X 1 Scale, Calibrated to "000", Measure the Black wire to ground with the switch set in High position. It should read "000" ohms to ground.

NEXT, Move the switch to low, Measure the Lt Blue wire to ground, It should read "000" ohms to ground.

NEXT , Measure the Dark Blue to ground with the switch set for WASHER, It should read "000" to ground.

If you don't get ground readings here, The switch is either bad, Or the Ground at the centerwiper of the switch is missing. If you have ground at all positions at the switch, but not at the motor, inspect the harness, it has a cut in the wire.

IF you have that, Set your meter To the DCV Scale, 20 volts or higher, Measure the Black Yellow Wire, IT should read 12 volts ANYTIME the KEY is on..IF not, check the fuse. If the fuse is good, inspect the wire back to the fuse buss..it has an open.

Here is a typical GM wiper system Schematic : (specifically for your Car.)

Doc
Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Haven't checked ohms or voltage yet but all wires seem to be hooked up correctly. When I turn my switch to low the motor makes a click sound like its trying to start. The motor is good. I ran some jumper wires to a ground to check. It started right up. With a test light on the number two (low) terminal on my motor it is hot with switch off as it should be. When the swithch is moved to the low speed it goes off. Same with the third terminal. Switch seems to be ok. I've spent three days with this stupid thing and just can't get anywhere!!!!!!! Oh the joys of hotrodding!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

The wiper Motor is based on Switched Ground on all the non electronic speed Controller Systems on GM's.

Ground is selected through the switch, High, Low, (and sometimes delay) , on the BLACK and LT BLUE wires. The Washer pump is Activated through the DARK BLUE wire.

To test the motor, with power on the YELLOW wire direct, *--->Ground Anyone of the black or Blue wires, The motor should run and/Or The fluid pump should start pumping.<--*

If not, The motor IS bad, or it's*--> transmission is locked outside of "Park". <--*

If you don't get ground readings here, The switch is either bad, Or the Ground at the centerwiper of the switch is missing. If you have ground at all positions at the switch, but not at the motor, inspect the harness, it has a cut in the wire.

Here is a typical GM wiper system Schematic : (specifically for your Car.)

Doc
Doc here,

If I understand correctly , you only have wiper function at one terminal, not at all two/three, and the rest are dead when jumpered?

If so, you have a bad motor..even though it runs at one speed..The motor winding is a continuous winding with TAPS for speed control..hi/low/med..if only one tap is working, the other two are open to the windings..IF that is the case, you may be forced to live with a "one speed motor" OR replace the motor.

IF all Three activate the motor, the ground from your switch is missing.

Doc
Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Got it fixed!!!! After three days............ I had a jumper wire jumped to the wrong place. Put it on the right wire and wahlah wipers!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Good deal,

Guess you'll not soon forget this repair..

Best education there is..the "Ooops Factor"

Doc
Old 06-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Wiper Motor problems

I am rebuilding a 1967 GTO. I have had the wiper motor out and cleaned it. I hooked everything back up correctly. The motor works while the switch is pushed in, as if washing the windshield. I also have a voltage difference between the motor body and the car body. This would indicate a positive ground. Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I figure if the motor works when you are in the wash mode, you must have a good ground.........However, as Docvette explained above, the grounds on wipers are very important.......it may be a problem......

Have you checked fuses and if there is power to motor in the regular on position? The above diagram should be about the same for your Pontiac

Budget RVs

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.