Hot Rod Forum banner

Wiper Motor Wiring

11K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 ·
I hope somebody can help me figure out how to wire a 2002 to 2006 Acura rear wiper motor so it will operate my front wipers. I have a 1949 Willys Street Rod with vacuum wipers. I have worked out the mechanics of adapting the electric motor to replace the vacuum motor.
I am not very good with the electrical part of the transition. I can get the electric motor to run but I can not figure out how to wire it so the park feature works when you cut the switch off. I am using a simple on/off switch. I have attached a wiring diagram for the 2002-06 Acura RSX Wiper Motor.
Please see attached file. You can also email me at: wrb36us@aol.com.
Thanks
Bill Butler

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Bill, It looks like you're gonna need a single pole double throw switch to operate it. (SPDT)

Wire #1 to the ignition switch with a 10 amp fuse inline.
Wire #2 to chassis ground.
Wire #3 to the common terminal on the SPDT switch.(center terminal)
Wire #4 to one side of the SPDT switch that you wish to use as the OFF position.
Run a wire from the other side of the switch to chassis ground(ON position).

Nolan

#6 ·
Here is a modified sketch showing basically what OLNOLAN suggested. With the ignition on, there is power to the wiper motor, but no ground connection. The switch regulates the ground connection, not the power. Flip the toggle switch up, and a ground connection is completed and the wiper motor comes on. Flip the toggle switch down, and the wiper parks. Once parked, move the toggle switch to the middle or OFF position.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
wipers

Sorry guys, I'm usually online in the mornings. I'm an old timer and if you wait on me to do a drawing with a computer program. ................................... Hoptup32 did a damn fine job on the drawing, but the center off isn't necessary. When you switch it to the off position, then the limit switch in the wiper motor breaks the circuit, until you start it over again by switching it back on.

Oh, I forgot to add that the limit switch appears to be optical, requiring power to operate, thats what that extra hot lead is for that you see going into the limit switch.

Nolan

#10 ·
Hello Hoptup32 & OLNOLAN,
Well I tried the wiring as indicated on your drawing and the motor runs fine but it will not go back to the park position when I shut it off or toggle it in the opposite direction. By the way, both of you gave great directions and the drawing was really easy to understand. Could there be something wrong with the park feature on this motor?
Do you have any other ideas or is there anybody else out there that can help.
Thanks

#13 ·
I can see as OLNOLAN indicated, the toggle switch in the park position with the yellow wire isn't necessary. Just turning the wipers off will switch the ground control over to the limit switch.

Assuming that the limit switch is fine and it is receiving power from the green wire, I would suspect that there is an issue with it seeing a ground connection. After you switch the normal wiper operation to OFF, the motor will continue to operate by seeing a ground connection thru the limit switch, until such time as the limit switch is triggered to disconnect the ground connection.

The ground connection labeled #2 is for the limit switch, do you have that connected separately to a good ground source? The Acura wiring diagram shows a second ground connected to #2, I'm not sure what that is about?

If its not the ground source to the limit switch, then the only other possibility is the limit switch is bad. However, I wouldn't think that they would have a high failure rate.

#16 ·
Thanks Hoptup32,
I will double check the ground situation out. That extra ground you mention that is shown in the Manufactures diagram, is showing that I need to ground the wiper motor also. I am grounding the motor and the switch and ground wire number 2. So everything is grounded well. I am thinking that the switch in the drawing, you sent, should actually have the ground wire in the center. I will try this next. Really appreciate all the help I am getting on this.

#19 ·
Wipers

Been busy with work, got a few minutes to try and figure this out. 1)When you switch to the park position, where does the wiper stop?
2)Does it stop in the same place every time?
3)DON'T use a SPDT switch with a center off position. Use a ON-ON, not a ON-OFF-ON.
4)Disregard my initial thoughts of the park switch being optical. Its just a cam operated switch, the extra positive wire on the switch shorts(discharges) the windings when it reaches the park position to make the motor stop faster(not coast to a stop).
5)I'm 99% sure the wiring will work the way I recommended, unless I'm missing something in that 1%. LOL I've been known to miss something.
6)As mentioned, make sure the wiper motor is well grounded.
7)I'm thinking that the motor is not "clocked" in the correct position to make the wiper park where you want it to.
8)Is the wiper arm shaft splined, whereas you could move the arm to the position you want it to park at? If so, take the arm off, then turn the wiper switch on and then back to the off(park)position and let the motor park itself. Then install the wiper arm in the position you want for park.

Let us know what you have in regard to the questions. I'm like you, between the bunch of us we can figure this out. If I had the car in front of me it would be easier, long distance no touch troubleshooting is tough.

Nolan

#20 ·
Wipers

Been busy with work, got a few minutes to try and figure this out. 1)When you switch to the park position, where does the wiper stop?
2)Does it stop in the same place every time?
3)DON'T use a SPDT switch with a center off position. Use a ON-ON, not a ON-OFF-ON.
4)Disregard my initial thoughts of the park switch being optical. Its just a cam operated switch, the extra positive wire on the switch shorts(discharges) the windings when it reaches the park position to make the motor stop faster(not coast to a stop).
5)I'm 99% sure the wiring will work the way I recommended, unless I'm missing something in that 1%. LOL I've been known to miss something.
6)As mentioned, make sure the wiper motor is well grounded.
7)I'm thinking that the motor is not "clocked" in the correct position to make the wiper park where you want it to.
8)Is the wiper arm shaft splined, whereas you could move the arm to the position you want it to park at? If so, take the arm off, then turn the wiper switch on and then back to the off(park)position and let the motor park itself. Then install the wiper arm in the position you want for park.

Let us know what you have in regard to the questions. I'm like you, between the bunch of us we can figure this out. If I had the car in front of me it would be easier, long distance no touch troubleshooting is tough.

Nolan
OLNOLAN,
(1) When I cut the switch off it stops in any position. Never in the same spot it starts in unless I keep flipping the switch until I get it back to the park position.
(2) Did you mean a ON-OFF switch? If not, where would I get an ON-ON type?
(3) Motor is grounded directly to the Battery and I am running the Hot directly from the Battery positive.
(4) It does not have splines on the shaft so I can place the wiper arm in any position.
(5) Could you do a pencil drawing of how you think it should be wired, then send it by email to: wrb36us@aol.com? I will send you a drawing that has the components and all you have to do is pencil in the wire routes.

Attachments

#21 ·
i think he has the wrong switch and is using on/off
once you eliminate all the washer motor wiring the switch and wiring is quite basic

looking at the oem diagram and the way this drawing is wired it should work
the switch should be on/on no need for on/off/on but it would work

again i think he's using the wrong switch
would it be easier to wire into a relay?
blue wire 3 into 30 on the relay. ground to 87 on the relay and yellow wire 4 to 87a on the relay
use an on/off switch to energize the relay
wipers off: blue wire 3 is connected to yellow wire 4
wipers on: blue wire 3 is grounded

a quick test to see if the wiring diagram is correct would be to randomly stop the motor
ground #2 and hook #3 and #4 together, the motor should park

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks OGRE,
I will give your idea a try. I am in the process of doing a new drawing by coping what the OEM drawing shows just for the Wiper Motor. If that does not work, then I will try the relay. I will let you guys know if and when I get something to work. Great job guys. Where do I get an ON/ON switch and what do I ask for exactly?

#26 ·
It's not the same. An On/On switch........ example...when the lever is in the up position it is On and wires 1 and 2 are connected, flip the lever to the down position and wires 2 and 3 are connected and #1 wire is disconnected.

In most bosch relays......
Terminal 30 is the common terminal
Terminal 87 is (NO) normally open
Terminal 87a is (NC) normally closed
Terminal 85 relay coil
Terminal 86 relay coil

When there is no power to the relay, terminals 30 (common)and 87a (NC) are connected or "ON".

When power and ground are applied to terminals 85 and 86, the relays energizes and terminals 30 (common) and terminal 87a disconnect and terminal 30 and 87(NO) connect and provide a second "ON" condition,

hence a On/On switch

#27 ·
On-On

WRB, Google SPDT Maintained On-On Toggle Switch and you'll find plenty of sources. It's very likely that your local Graingers store has one on the shelf. Here's an example;
http://www.delcity.net/images/linedrawings/7200033.pdf

If you know how to use an ohmmeter you can test the park switch portion of your motor. If its possible to rotate the motor by hand, attach you meter leads to wires 2 & 4. You should get continuity between these two wires until it reaches the park position. If you don't get continuity at all, try checking it between the motor case and wire 4. Could be wire 2 isn't grounded to the motor or you're connecting to the black wire that is the shield ground on the motor lead in cable. Maybe you could supply some photos of the motor and the wiring to help us ID the problem.

The wiring has now been verified correct by several other members here who are also electricians.

Either the park switch is bad or you're not hooking it up correctly.

Nolan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.