Wipers faulty on intermittant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 03:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wipers faulty on intermittant

When I put my wipers on intermittant, they are really slow and/or the blades just stop half way or shake their way across the screen. This does not happen if the wipers are on normal sequence. After the wipers have been operating for a while, the intermittant switch works fine.
Any ideas as to the cause would be grateful, is it the switch or the wiper motor?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

i take it this must be a late model car or truck..... anyway my 84 chevy suburban did the same thing & what i have found is the circuit board in the wiper mtr is going bad. the only thing i could find to fix it was replace the mtr..

but then it may even be the switch in the column need cleaning or replaced.....joe
Old 05-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

More info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl
When I put my wipers on intermittent, they are really slow and/or the blades just stop half way or shake their way across the screen. This does not happen if the wipers are on normal sequence. After the wipers have been operating for a while, the intermittent switch works fine.
Any ideas as to the cause would be grateful, is it the switch or the wiper motor?
Thanks.
If you can give us the year make and model of whatever you are working on we might be able to help.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

The car is my daily transport at the moment, it is an 84 318i BMW.

My knowledge of electrical stuff is sfa, but I am curious as to why all wipers do not just have an on/off switch and a rheostat to vary the speed as required instead of having just set speeds. Would this require different types of motors or far greater expense.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Wipers

Doc here,

You might also want to check the linkages (and in some cases, motor transmission) For lubrication..and Wipers For "Hard Blades".

You may have issues with the linkages or Blades that the slow speed setting can't overcome (excessive drag on the motor) until it "Warms up a bit" or the blades soften up in the rain..Excessive Downward force on the wiper arms can cause this too..

A Rheostat Is a very ineffective way to control motor speed anymore..In it's day it was OK, but was subject to Excessive heat (as it varied the motor speeds) and was subject to mechanically falling apart, Dirt or wear spots on the most common used setting, or the Center wiper losing tension under load..It required more space to mount it (away from stuff that would be effected by heat, and because it was physically larger).

With the introduction of Buffered semiconductors (low current signal to drive high current devices) The problems of motor speed control have almost been eliminated, no mechanical parts to wear out, Less heat generated,Less space required to mount the componet.Plus it makes it easier to interface to other options like moisture detectors and the like.

Multi tap or wound motors achieve the same principle but are far more costly to produce than a single tap motor..So from a manufacturer's point of view, that answer is self evident..

GM for years, used a series of 3 Resistors on their heater motor speed control to achieve different speed settings, It was a weak point in the system as they would fail quite a bit..along with the controller switch (works well on High only..)

Doc
Old 05-11-2005, 05:57 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

You raise quite an interesting point. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to use some transistors and a microcontroller to send pulses, thus controlling the motor's speed (this is how electric forklifts and any electric motor's speed is varied, the rheostat idea is inefficient in comparison).

However, would it be more annoying to have the wipers wipe once in X amount of time, or to have the blades slooooowwwly creep across the windshield? I can see this being bad, as I love adjusting the vacuum wipers in my rambler to the beat of whatever is on the radio at the time. I can see it now, accidents all over the country because soccer mom was messing with the wipers to make them swish to the beat of Rob Thomas songs and didn't see that the light turned red up ahead......
Old 05-15-2005, 08:37 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Sounds like a Chevy. The delay module goes bad but the full speed still runs through the delay module so it does the herky-jerky.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novaman
You raise quite an interesting point. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to use some transistors and a microcontroller to send pulses, thus controlling the motor's speed (this is how electric forklifts and any electric motor's speed is varied, the rheostat idea is inefficient in comparison).

However, would it be more annoying to have the wipers wipe once in X amount of time, or to have the blades slooooowwwly creep across the windshield? I can see this being bad, as I love adjusting the vacuum wipers in my rambler to the beat of whatever is on the radio at the time. I can see it now, accidents all over the country because soccer mom was messing with the wipers to make them swish to the beat of Rob Thomas songs and didn't see that the light turned red up ahead......
Doc here,

Pulse Width modulation is an excellent way to control motor speed. (and other applications as well) Simply because It's Duty Cycle is less than Half of the peak of an analog voltage (If your doing it right.. )

You Can control a Motor at the same speed and torque with pulse width modulation at half the rate of power consumption..(simply because the Pulse is off 50% of the time..) and your source Current (the battery) will last twice as long as it would straight analog, and do the same amount of work..Since the motor is analog technology..It doesn't even see the "Off" portion of the duty cycle..because the Controller is operating at a much higher frequency than would effect an analog device....

By varying the frequency rate or modulation width, you gain speed control, while still conserving power at a rate much more acceptable than analog..

Couple a Pulse width modulator with a bank of hefty SCR's, and then into the most efficient motor you can find.. and you have a perfect platform For an EV or tow motor..Speed controller...

I built an EV back in the 70's ... It was a Volkswagen Pan (modified like a sand-rail frame to reduce weight) and a fiberglass gull wing kit body...

Built the Controller myself, (since that technology was in it infancy then..) as a microprocessor based pulse width modulator..(also new technology then..)You COULD actually program in consumption rates, speed and torque limits with an umbilical keyboard in the passenger compartment..

The motor was a 4cm..something or another..I think 70..but can't remember..But the motor wasn't very efficient, and was a starter motor off an F100 fighter..a 24/48 volt motor..run at 72 volts (full load condition..)

The car had 12 , 6 volt deep cycle marine batteries weighing in at about a whopping 1300 pounds....(also not very efficient...)

I had machined, an adapter plate for the motor and clutch system (sans ring gear teeth)to the transaxel that coupled the two units together..at the input shaft of the transaxel..thus it operated as a standard VW to drive it..4 forward , 1 reverse..and a regular clutch..

Anyway..The Short story..It was not the fastest thing off the line..The paperboy could beat it off the line even giving me a 1 second RT handicap..

However..once you were in second or third the car operated comparable to an internal combustion engine vehicle, without all the noise..It did have a top speed of about 70 mph...on flat , level ground, and you could get about an hour run time out of the battery's before having to recharge..depending on how you drove it..

After Several phone calls (computers were also in their infancy then.. ) To George Kaylor..(EV Guru at the time..) in Santa Rosa, We came to the conclusion that until such time as a better, higher current, longer life, lightweight battery bank system, and a charging system that could overcome the laws of physics were invented..and more efficient motors were available...The TRUE EV would be a passing phase...nothing more than a hobby..And the Car ended up as "Parts" by the early 80's!

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.