Hot Rod Forum banner

wire an after market ammeter

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KENMO 
#1 ·
:confused: hi, i have a 72 chevelle, i need to no how to wire an after market ammeter. i no there are only 2 wires, i just don't no where they hook up to. thanks guys jim

#2 ·
I don't know Chevelles but you need to go between the main heavy red feed wire that powers the system. It could be off the big terminal on starter or a heavy red going to the positve batt terminal. Someone else will get it correct........

But, an ammeter is pretty obsolete these days. Plus those heavy unprotected wires running into the car can short out and cause a big problem like on factory equipped old mopars.

A GOOD quality voltmeter will tell you so much more about the system; and it can show a old failing battery before it goes completely, as well as accurate readings for overcharging voltage, etc. Don't buy a cheapie, as they don't work well.

#4 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

IF you plan on using an amp meter (Not recommended) you must isolate the wire that feeds the main power buss to the car. This usually is the 10 gauge pink , orange or red at the starter solenoid battery terminal.

The gauge will install in series with this wire, meaning you will need to run 2 10 gauge wires to the gauge.

The amp gauge is hot with DIRECT battery power 24/7/365..meaning if you reach up under the dash to work on something and your watch band hits it and ground, your going to the Hospital for many skin grafts..or if a tool falls on it, you'll have a fire you can't put out..(at least until the ignition source is removed, the battery, either melts down or explodes..by this time your rod is pretty much a burned out hulk.)

Also WHEN (not if) the gauge shunt burns out, it will leave the vehicle without power, no lights, engine , nothing..until you replace or bypass the gauge.

A Volt meter is simple to install, FUSED , switched power, and ground And your done! safe..and simple.

Doc :pimp:

#8 ·
Thanks for the search feature here... I'm installing a new Letric Limited wiring harness in my 60 Vette. The harness is an exact repro of the original harness and calls for an ammeter. The previous owner replaced the ammeter with a Stewart Warner voltmeter and I was considering on purchasing an Autometer ammeter from Summitt...

Thanks to this thread via the search feature here, you've all convinced me to stay with a voltmeter...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.