wire harness to firewall connector pin bent - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wire harness to firewall connector pin bent

My 66 chevy engine wire harness that connects to the back of the fuse box on the firewall has one bad connector pin - it's bent. It makes contact, but it's old and it's not going to last much longer. It is shaped like an upside-down "V" and slides into a square female pin.

I've inspected the wiring by unwrapping all the electrical tape and the wires are in very good shape. I really don't want to order a new wire harness for $X when all I need is a 59-cent connector terminal or a plug/pin kit! I could bypass the wire too, but I think that's ugly.

Is there any source out there for these things? I've looked and haven't had any luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 07:37 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i have a few wiring issues my self but i don't think that is one of them i need to replace my dash harness and fuse panel. i might be going to look at a parts car soon and if i do i'll see what i can find for you maybe i can do some surgery we'll see and i'll let you know.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Surgery is an option

I am considering using the pins for the temperature sender or the oil pressure sender, since they're currently not being used (got gauges). The bad pin is on the purple wire going to the starter solenoid "S" connection. It works, as long as the plug is in tight... I am almost finish with MAD electric's New System wiring under the hood and the last thing I want to do is reinstall a new harness!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: wire harness to firewall connector pin bent

Quote:
Originally posted by 66Caprice
My 66 chevy engine wire harness that connects to the back of the fuse box on the firewall has one bad connector pin - it's bent. It makes contact, but it's old and it's not going to last much longer. It is shaped like an upside-down "V" and slides into a square female pin.

I've inspected the wiring by unwrapping all the electrical tape and the wires are in very good shape. I really don't want to order a new wire harness for $X when all I need is a 59-cent connector terminal or a plug/pin kit! I could bypass the wire too, but I think that's ugly.

Is there any source out there for these things? I've looked and haven't had any luck.
[color=lightblue][size=3]Doc here

Can you post a photo Of the Connector? I may be able to outsource it for you...

Doc
[/color][/size]
Old 07-08-2004, 07:17 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last photo:

is that harness a factory type replacement or is it a generic type kit that you have to adapt to your car? i'll be shopping for a harness soon i've seen them in classic ind. and the paddok catalogs but i would like to have a few sources.

thanks, rich.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

The wireharness I have is the original 38 year old one that came with the car. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if any of these businesses that sell just the harnesses also sell the plug with the connector pins. This was a New Mexico car for 29 years and after unwrapping the tape, I found no problems except where the factory splices for 12v battery and the high beams are by the front left inside fender skirt.

There's one wire I really want to replace - i think its the resitor wire that was for the coil 12v power. I have a HEI distributor now and that wire was being used for the BAT connector. (The guy I bought the car from did that) I've read that this wire should not be used for HEI, so I routed a new wire in its place.

I've finished up installing MAD electrics New System kit along with the HEI wiring kit. Big improvement in the lights and I think using a 14gage wire instead of that resitor wire helped alot too.

I'll take a photo of this connector Saturday - next time I have some spare time to do things!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:35 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last photo:

i've got an hei to and you are right you cannot use the resistor wire for the hei because it drops the voltage feeding the dist to about 9 volts so it won't be powered correctly. i ran a 14 guage wire right to the switched acc. port on the fuse panel.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I took a test drive last night and noticed a big difference in the performance. That ignition wire had 2 splices in it, the wire was twisted and capped with regular household twisty-cap things! The new 14g wire is spliced (into the pink wire at the ignition switch. Actually, I the new wire goes to the ignition switch and the pink wire is spliced to it.

All that's left under the hood, electrically, is to find some solution to this mangled pin and then tape the wires up, loom 'em, and then it's off to unwrap things under the dash (and change the dashboard too).
Old 07-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Pins

[color=lightblue][size=3]Doc here:

If these are standard Molex pins, they are totally replaceable,

just get a Molex insert / Extract tool slide it down the rear of the pin until it bottoms out on the Connector,

Then Grab hold of the tool and the wire at the same time, and pull backwards, the pin and tool should come right out.

Replace the pin, and slide it back into the connector backplane...

Amp and other's are similar also, but use different tools, depends on your Connector.

Rather than tape it all back up, you might consider plastic loom sleeves... comes in Colors and chrome, Makes it really easy to work on in the future...

Doc
[/color][/size]
Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Here's the pics!

This is the plug on the good one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01001.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2037  

Last edited by 66Caprice; 07-09-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

This is the firewall recepticle for the plug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01003.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2038  
Old 07-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

plugs

[color=lightblue][size=3]Doc here:

I'm not seeing a bent Pin there, However you got a serious Corrosion thing happening there.

If the pin is Bent, it would look to be stout Enough to straighten out with hemostats ... so long as they mate tightly when done.

I would Clean it out aggressively With Electrical Cleaner And a burnishing file / Brush before replacing.

I checked NOS electrical for that plug and pins ...It isn't happening .. So next best shot would be a Boneyard, and either replace the whole plug, (transplant it into the existing harness) or Change the single pin from the boneyard harness.

Check your local auto electrical Shops too they sometimes have obscure items on the shelf, and just may have one.

try To clean and straighten it first...

Doc
[/color][/size]
Old 07-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

The photos are of the good plug. Cleaning them up is on the agenda for today. Soon as the coffee's ready, I'm out there!

I think I'll eventually just get one of those harness / fusebox kits.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.