Hot Rod Forum banner

wire harness removal

965 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mightycarlo10 
#1 ·
putting a 72sbc in a 89 firebird, hook up a battery to a couple wires and everything in the int works. i want to run all the stock gauges in the car,will any of this stuff work on this old engine?

#2 ·
The '89 probably has all electric gauges and sensors, but the older engine may have mechanical oil pressure gauge and maybe even a mechanical temp gauge. You would have to get '89-vintage sender units to make the gauges work.

However, a bigger problem will be the sensors that feed the computer in the '89 body. If you want to run the computer you probably need a temp sensor input, crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, speed sensor, and probably some other items. None of these sensors would have been on the '72 engine and transmission.

Bruce

#3 ·
Doc here.. :pimp:

It depends on tons of things...you didn't bother to list..

Is this EST?

What is the preferred Induction?

Are there BCM or PCM 's to consider?

If you want just engine monitoring group, use the SENDERS (not sensors) from the latter engine, they match the gauges..

My advise is get a manual for both..and build a diagram for the graft..follow that as well as photo everything as it is removed and make extensive notations.

Doc :pimp:

#6 ·
As you continue along with your project don't forget that removing the cat is a federal offense. I'm not sure about the other emissions controls on your vehicle. For the time being the Feds don't appear to be very intersted in private individuals, but they are looking for businesses to make an example of. Maybe you're not aware of it, but the Feds will pay a bounty to people that turn in someone that is modifying emissions devices on vehicles illegally.

#7 ·
ernkazern said:
As you continue along with your project don't forget that removing the cat is a federal offense. I'm not sure about the other emissions controls on your vehicle. For the time being the Feds don't appear to be very intersted in private individuals, but they are looking for businesses to make an example of. Maybe you're not aware of it, but the Feds will pay a bounty to people that turn in someone that is modifying emissions devices on vehicles illegally.

Doc here, :pimp:

I believe, Removing ANY smog Federal Standard Equipment regardless of state requirements is a Federal Offense..(It is here, if your licensed...and if not)

Not to mention the bill (which I have not heard back on yet ) that went to the White House last month, for the Presidents Sig..that MANDATES All States will need to Comply to California State regulations by 08..Even if testing now is not being done..AND that California Emissions will be going UP by 20% TIGHTER on the output..in that time period..

AND..

Along with that, a second bill dovetailed it that will MANDATE all states Test EVERY year..

Both should be in the KB here somewhere..I haven't heard the results YET..and that usually means..

It passed..and they don't want the public as a whole to know about it yet so it can't be challenged. (at least in Ca it does.. :mad: )

I used to post..don't gut it..save and document everything..and be sure you can return it to stock at ANYTIME..but It got old, hearing.."No Sweat" we will NEVER test here" and / Or "No Sweat..slip the guy a 100 Fazools..I'm over.." Or I just won't test at all.."My standard answer now is: KEWL..Have at it.. Ultimately they post back within 15 months..."HELP!!!!!!!! NEW SMOG LAWS!!!!CAN NOT PASS SMOG..CAN"T REGISTER MY CAR!!!" too bad...Too sad.. :(

Then is when they find out HOW much that JUNK was worth..like an A.I.R. system with manifolds, and check valves plus plumbing..$1500 Fazools out of a junkyard..Or a Computer, Plus harness, Plus EST Dizzy, Plus a EME Quad..EGR, TVS, and other selected goodies..$2200 out of a Junkyard..PLUS testing, failures and tech time (heare, 100 fazools a pull on the dyno..) to get it to pass, and maybe getting locked into a Gross Polluter Status..(you get to go through this anytime DMV feels they want to monitor your emissions..my DD Vette gets AT least 3 appointments a year..don't show and they revoke your registration electronically..Get CAUGHT on a public highway and they take your car..

But..See..that's if I wanted to get on my soapbox..sure am glad I didn't.. :D :cool:

BTW..MY DD did get caught up in that..Cost me :

13 trips to the state ref..at 100 fazools a pull..plus 100 fazools for pretest or $200 per trip..

The Cost of ALL new smog equipment..$6500...

And the Tech Time to make it play good enough to get a "RARE" "modified, acceptable pass " cert from the state referee..

Oh..and I ran on 30 day passes for 18 months..

AFTER getting the car out of impound..30 day mandatory, at 100 a day..or 3000 fazools PLUS towing..175 fazools in..AND you must have a red tag to drive it out..or it sits in CHP impound..

Registration THAT year was a bit over $12,000 (one third the value of the restored car..)...and just in time to do it all over again in 4 months.

But , that's Californication <--Mis~Spell, but I like it so it stays..) for ya..that'll NEVER happen to YOU...

Doc :pimp:

#9 ·
True, but there is a loop hole to this. Here in NY, you only need emission equipment if your ENGINE, not car, originally came with emission equipment. So if your putting a '72 engine that originally had no emission equipment in your '89 Firebird, then you do not need any of the emission BS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.