wireing rear stop,turn,tail lts. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wireing rear stop,turn,tail lts.

My 65 Elky has a chopped up harness I am trying to straighten out. I have a 2 wire socket in the top position and a 1 wire in the bottom position.
I've run a hot wire to the brake switch, then back to 1 of the 2 wires on top, the existing tail wire to the other of 2 wires. Now if I hook the turn signal to the brake wire, I get a good brake light, but no turn light.
The bottom single wire is supposed to be tail light and also runs to the 2 wire socket. My schematic is not helping since the previous owner changed all the wire colors, which I'm trying to return to correct colors.
The double socket has a heavier brighter filament , and a slightly smaller filament, not sure what goes to which filament.

So can anyone tell me which wires go to heavy filament, which to lighter, bearing in mind I have 3 wires , Stp/tail/turn , to connect to only 2 wires from the socket?

I've spent all day on trail and error and still not correct. I'm using my hot wired brake switch, and factory fed turn/tail, if this makes a difference.

If worse comes to worse I was going to cut holes in the tail gate and wire tail or turn to these new sockets, but I hate to cut it up.
Thanks, Crash

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
I have a 2 wire socket in the top position and a 1 wire in the bottom position.
I've run a hot wire to the brake switch, then back to 1 of the 2 wires on top, the existing tail wire to the other of 2 wires.
The wire from the brake light switch (should be white) needs to be wired into the turn signal switch instead of going directly to the brake lights.

From the turn signal switch, a yellow wire should go to the left turn/stop lamp, and a green wire should go to the right turn/stop lamp.

Here is a simple GM turn signal wiring diagram that might help:

http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagram...top_Hazard.JPG

Here is an article that explains how turn signals work and how to troubleshoot them (when they are properly wired):

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ignals_work%3F

Hope this helps...
Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 AM

Last photo:

Flat cable.

MY 65 el camino had a flat cable that went under the carpet to the rear of the car. It was the culprit too. I carried a tool box and threw it in the rear floorboard daily.

Yep.. the stop lights are the turn signals. have to go through the column, had plenty of shorts in there too over the years, it is pretty cheap last unit I bought.

I'm 300lbs, six one, I hate getting under the dash and working.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

wireing rear turn,stop ,tail lights

Found a real rats nest of wires from the steering column, all were spliced poorly and some were crushed and melted. I spent the day redoing that mess.
Now I have to undo my cobble job and put wires back where they belong and hope it all works right now.
The diagram was a help, although my 65 doesn't have emergency flashers. Maybe I can add this feature in after I get things working correctly.
Thanks for all the advice, Crash
Old 11-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: More Interior
Last photo:

IMHO, you will spend more time and money trying to rehab the old harness and you will still end up with a 45 year old harness, flickering lights, and maybe a fire. The alternative is not cheap, but may be so in the long run.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=0

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=0

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

wireing rear lights

Thanks for the info, right now the budget is real tight, a new harness was my first choice of course. Crash
Old 11-15-2009, 07:44 AM

One other solution is to find an unmodified wiring harness from a junkyard vehicle, and replace the bad sections in your harness. Its still old wiring, but you can take a look at it and fix most of the bad areas before you put it in.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Wireing rear lights

It would be nice to find a 65 Elky or interchange model in a junkyard here, but they are few and far between. Last year I did luck out and find a 65 Elky in the local junkyard and was able to get a few pieces off of it but the rest was junk, and the good stuff was already gone, but I'll keep looking.
I bought a wireing diagram from one of the resto companies, but it is not very easy to follow, esp. since its on 3 different pages and the wires don't line up when you try to put them together.
Thanks for the advice , Crash
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Wireing rear lights

Well after repairing all the bad wires from the steering column I have everything back to the correct wireing, except I can't find the wires to the brake switch. The simple diagram from above doesn't help as my 65 doesn't have emergency flashers, so there is no white wire.
Attached is the diagram for a 65 Chevelle, I have studied it until I see it with my eyes closed and its still no help. Maybe someone will see what I'm missing.
If I have to I will just add a couple extra tail lights and run it with the brakes wired hot to the switch.
Thanks, Crash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center section.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	41997   Click image for larger version

Name:	center section.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	41998   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear section.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	41999  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

This 65 Chevelle wiring diagram might be easier to follow: (click here)

Looks like the original wire that powered the brake light switch is black/orange.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

wireing rear lights

That diagram was much easier to read than mine, however I still can't get the brake lights to work. The black/orange wire from the light switch has no power, so it seems it must not be getting power from the light switch. when I turn the light switch on all I get is headlights, no parking/tail lights. So I guess I have more problems to figure out. As I have to work outside I need for it to cool down some here, its about 90 under the dash which makes it twice as hard to figure anything out in addition to all the cobbling up the previous owner did to the wireing.

I now have power from the black/orange, and by tapping into the black/wht wire at the steering column I get brake lights, but when I put the left turn signal on it kills the brake lights. It seems I can only have one or the other. Also got the tailights working.
Thanks a lot for that diagram, it is a big help, if you have any other suggestions they would be welcome. Crash

Last edited by crash; 11-19-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add'l info/question

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.