Wirewheeling rust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wirewheeling rust

Ok guys, the underside of my car has some surface rust, the back quarter also has minor surface rust. I've used the wire wheel to take rust off thicker metal but no body panels or floor boards, I need to know why no-one does this does it warp the panels or take off to much metal?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

I wire wheel small spots occasionally that I don't want to bother sandblasting. The reason I don't do it often is it takes longer and harder to do a good job getting all rust out of the pits. I suppose it may heat up the panel some, but think you probably would have to really try to build up enough heat to warp a panel with one.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
I have to tell you, a wire wheel is the last thing I would use simply because they SUCK. After you use a 3M "Clean-n-strip" wheel or a "Surface conditioning disc" you will toss the wire wheels in the trash where they belong.

I have not used a wire wheel in YEARS. Heck, they "polish" the rusty metal more than clean it.

Brian
Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

I still keep a selection of fine, medium, braided, and epoxy coated wire wheels in the shop. Although the kleen n strip wheels work well and much better than wire wheels in most situations wire wheels still have their place. Using Randy Ferguson's method of rust removal with Naval Jelly I've found a fine bristle wire wheel to work great in between jelly applications. Sometimes I use them for polishing, and sometimes I use the old encapsulated type mule skinners in tight areas where the kleen and strip won't work. They all have their place. I'd never consider wire wheeling a complete underside-have it sandblasted and be done. Bob
Old 01-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies, this is as bad as it gets(I know you southern guys are thinking, holy crap thats bad) but thats better(much) than it usually gets up here in the rust belt. I guess I could have it sandblasted and get it done with but I don't know any shops from around here that do it, I could do it but i'd have to do it in my shop and thats not gonna happen too much engine stuff , not real sure how safe jackstands would be outsid but i certainly don't want to get under that thing sitting on jackstands on all four corners(any creative solutions are very well appreciated). I've heard bad stuff about blasting body panels too, would that blackbeauty stuff work well without warping it to crap.I've got more to say but i'm tired and can't think of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0249.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	9315   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0252.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	9316   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0253.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	9317  
Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 PM

I agree that wire wheels have their place but I believe that they just "polish" the rust in many cases. If you have your doubts, pick at the wire wheeled area with a scraper or screw driver and see what happens.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

There has to be someplace near you that could sandblast it for you reasonably. Being the area you are in with the frequency of rust, which I know too well about also, being in a neighboring state, I would there would have to be at least a few shops. I really don't like sandblasting, it gets everywhere, and sticks to you in the summer time when you are hot and sweaty if you are not covered head to toe. Almost would be worth taking it to be done if you find a place to do it at the right price. I only have a siphon blaster at this time, and it takes for ever to do anything with one of them, but I never really noticed any warpage from it. A siphon feed puts out a lot more sand, but probably have to be more careful and not really hammer body panels and keep it moving. The black sand didn't work to well with my siphon, fine silica is what I have been using, cheap and effective, but its not the safest for your lungs. A pressure feed maybe the black sand works better. A pressure feed blaster is on my list for must haves this spring. I think if you are contemplating doing the underneath at all yourself, I would try to line up or buy a rotisserie so you are not laying on your back with crud falling on top of you.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.