Wiring a 1 wire alternator and starter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring a 1 wire alternator and starter

My question concerns how to wire a one wire alternator and starter on a small block chevy. I recently purchased a wiring kit from Haywire and am having a little trouble understanding how to wire a one wire alternator, starter, and HEI distributor. My kit has two wires coming from the fuse box that go to the starter (a 10 ga red (main power) and a 12 ga purple). From the instructions the red should go the the starter solenoid "B" post and the purple to the starter solenoid "S" post. I should then run a + cable from the battery to the starter "B" post and also have a wire from the battery + post to the one wire alternator. I should then run the pink wire from that is part of the engine harness to the HEI distributor. How right or wrong am I so far? My question is since I don't have a coil what wire should go to the starter solenoid "I" post or should it be left open. If I am totally off base can someone discribe the layout for me? Also my kit has a fusible link. Where should that go?
Thanks,
Charles

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Your Instructions are correct..

Power comes from the battery, to the solenoid, where it picks up the main fuse buss support wire (red 10 ga wire) and The alternator output wire (what ever color 10 gauge wire is designated) Fuse links should go Between the buss support and alternator wires and the big bolt on the solenoid (if not already provided).

The "S" Wire (purple) Goes to the start position of the switch Via The neutral safety switch, and hooks at the "S" terminal of the solenoid.

The Pink wire is the HEI power, It goes to the "BATT" terminal on the HEI cap. This is the "Hot in Run" position of the ignition.

You DO have a Coil...It is under the top cap of the HEI..BUT in modern wiring systems, the "I" Terminal (secondary Ignition) of the solenoid is not used. This supports full power to the coil during crank modes. Usually this is wired from a direct uninterrupted source in crank, so the need for secondary is not required.

If you find the "BATT" wire is dropping out during crank, you may install a secondary wire from the "I" terminal to the Batt" terminal to correct the problem, but you should not have to.

Doc
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Doc,
Thanks so much for your response. Just to clarify for me what you are saying in your response. So the wire from the alternator should go to the solenoid instead of directly to the + battery pos? And should I then put a fuse link in the wire from the alternator and the main fuse buss wire and attach them both at the solenoid?
Thanks again for your help.
Charles
Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Thats the usual connection for GM type vehicles..

It is not subject to corrosion from the battery, and is a much stouter (is that a real word?) connection than at the battery and is "Out of the way" from things that can yank them from their connectors..

It is an equivalent circuit as to a direct battery connection (just at the OTHER end of the cable) , and the only hazard to account for is manifold heat.

but you could go to the battery, I just prefer it the other way..

And yes. if not provided, the fuse links should go on these connections..for the alternator and main buss feed.

Doc
Old 01-27-2007, 06:55 AM

Ha Doc,
Thanks so much for all your help.
Charles
Old 01-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

No sweat! Keep us updated

Doc
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I have heard storys of the engine running on when useing a one wire alternator. I don't see how that can happen if it is wired to the battery cable on the starter.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
I have heard storys of the engine running on when useing a one wire alternator. I don't see how that can happen if it is wired to the battery cable on the starter.

Doc here,

It shouldn't IF the system is wired properly, the Ignition Switch should provide Effective Isolation between the Charging system and the Ignition System.

If however, the systems are cross-feeding, the problem can be eliminated by a diode installed between the two systems to provide isolation.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.