Wiring a 220 off an existing dryer outlet 220 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring a 220 off an existing dryer outlet 220

Hi, I need to run a 220 off of my existing dryer outlet 220.
For the new outlet, 21 amps, 5040 Watts, #10 copper wire, 30 breaker, receptacle, 2 pole 3 wire grounding NEMA configuration. Does anyone see a problem with this. It is for a pottery kiln. I WILL be doing this myself. I wont be running the dryer at the same time as the kiln of course. I thought I would turn off the power at the breaker box, open up the plug and see if I could figure it out. My experience only includes replacing light fixtures. Think I can do it.? Can anyone tell me how? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Sure. Its actually kind of a no-brainer. Take a look at the back of the outlet. The posts are "color" coded. Green is green, the silver post gets the common white wire, and the other two posts are for black and the other color (usually blue or red)

So, for your three-post plug, you need to split off ground (green), line 1 (black) and line 2 (whatever the other color is). The ground goes to the green post and the other two go to the remaining two posts. Polarity is not an issue.

http://www.elec-toolbox.com/usefulinfo/nema1.jpg

Last edited by curtis73; 08-25-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM

Okay

There are only three "posts" and wires coming in from the wall, none of which are color coded. The one in the middle and slightly lower than the other two is probably the ground. It is not insulated, looks all freyed. Hope I dont sound dumb, so I drop the line through the attic and fish it out the hole. Then I unscrew the posts and attach the wires to the post right over top of the existing ones, then tighten it back up? Can I just wrap the new ground wire around the old one to ground it? It doesnt look like there is any room for the new on the ..........Whatever you call it.
Thanks for helping.!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Ball Of Fire

Not Kidding. The receptacle cover is really just sitting up there on the outlet, not screwed in or anything, it is broke and the company I used for someother electrical work was supposed to replace it, well they never have so, Just now I go take the cover off just to look, NOT TOUCH. Then I put it back on and POP!!!! and a small ball of fire fell to the floor.. Dont panic, The fire is out. I am still alive. So, I cant find the breaker box that has the dryer breaker, Guess its a personal problem. Please do however continue to answer my original and secondary questions.
Thanks
Girl
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you dont know EXACTLY what you are doing, stop and call someone who does. So many bad things can happen if it is not done properly. Piggy backing off a dryer plug is not a good idea and probably not up to code.

Chet
Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

220V can kill you, if you have arleady had a mishap like that, you should step back and think about what your doing. if you can't find the correct breaker, just shut off the main... I'v done some stupid things with wiring, like cutting a lamp cord that was plugged in ( wiring to a diffrent light ).. or wired hot wires to ground on a receptacle ( tripping breaker, and I had wired an entire series at that point.. had to check them all )... sometimes you just got to rethink what your doing
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
If you dont know EXACTLY what you are doing, stop and call someone who does. So many bad things can happen if it is not done properly. Piggy backing off a dryer plug is not a good idea and probably not up to code.

Chet
+1

Sounds like you have a dangerous situation already. Get a certified electrician to fix your existing plug up properly first!

Then you can go out and buy yourself a cord for a dryer and wire that to your new 3 wire receptacle / box with the color coded wiring connected as previously explained. (white wire does NOT need to be connected, cut any of its bare wire and cover the end with electrical tape) When you want to use your kiln, unplug your dryer, plug in your adapter cord to the dryer outlet and plug your kiln into the adapter cords receptacle.

As your kiln is suitable for the 30 amp breaker this will work fine and using the adapter cord ensures you do not overload your circuit by having both loads active.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.