Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Wiring 220 for a Welder and Compressor (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wiring-220-welder-compressor-197680.html)

ToddMcF2002 05-01-2011 09:36 PM

Wiring 220 for a Welder and Compressor

Hi folks. I searched on this and I found a few threads but they all seemed to disolve into warnings about an electrician vs. DIY and no real answers. I'm planning on an electrician, but I need to tell him what I need.

My issue is simple and I'm sure many have the issue. The 80 gallon compressor doesn't move and welder does. The welder (Lincoln 180) as a 6ft power cord and a 10ft cable. How do I make the welder mobile so I can get around the project and ideally out to the driveway?

Thanks!

matts37chev 05-01-2011 09:51 PM

i have a 50 amp welder outlet on the wall
and a 50 foot extension cord i made, to plug the welder into the wall outlet.

and i dont know if its correct or not (probably not :nono: ) but my air compressor is wired into the back of the welder outlet (it should have its own circut, i'm sure) :rolleyes:

crownver 05-01-2011 10:18 PM

Like Matt says, make up an extension cord for it. Or, I think your welding supply house will likely sell ext. cords big enough to handle the welder. Or a generator supply. 12 gauge cable is rated for the 20 amps the welder draws. Just get the appropriate ends for the cable.

ToddMcF2002 05-01-2011 10:20 PM

Thanks guys.

Here is where I'm at:

My house is wired for 30Amp 220 using the NEMA 10-30P 3 prong outlet. There is NO electric dryer in my house because we have a gas dryer, so I'm lucky to have a dedicated line that starts at my panel in the garage and goes into the basement. My simple strategy is to take the whole line and feed it back into my garage to remount it by the compressor. All I'd have to do is turn off the breaker for that little project. With that in mind tonight I bought a 6 foot power cord with a 10-30P dryer plug for the compressor.

BUT...... The welder is NEMA 6-50P meant for a NEMA 6-50R receptacle. I see people on other forums making up extension cords with NEMA 6-50R (female) to 10-30P (male) so they can preserve the house receptacle.

Sounds great, but I hear other people calling that a "suicide cord".

I'm lost on what to do. Will my electrician make such a cord? Is it even the right approach? :(

crownver 05-01-2011 11:05 PM

Could be he'll want to change the breaker and the receptacle to one suitable for the welder. Do you mean you want to run the compressor and the welder off the 1 line?

crownver 05-01-2011 11:18 PM

The best way to do it would be to run a 240 volt circuit into the garage from the box in the house to a sub box and run a circuit in the garage for each of your units. We did this at my son's place. You can then put whatever you need in the garage.

ToddMcF2002 05-02-2011 07:11 AM

Thanks for the reply and advise. To answer the question, yes I plan on sharing the single 220 outlet by unplugging the compressor while I weld. At least short term. I'll grind welds after.

Is there a reason the circuit would be unsuitable?

matts37chev 05-02-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Thanks for the reply and advise. To answer the question, yes I plan on sharing the single 220 outlet by unplugging the compressor while I weld. At least short term. I'll grind welds after.

Is there a reason the circuit would be unsuitable?

your plan sounds fine to me :thumbup:

how many amps is the welder asking for?
my only concern is that the wire to the outlet might not be big enough for the welder :pain:

pull all the wire and outlet and put them in the garage
are you going to do this or an electrician?

i would do, like i have done,
just hard wire the compressor into the back of the dryer/welder plug, it doesn't need as big of wire
then just turn compressor off when you are welding. :D

how big of wire, and how many amps does your compressor say it needs?
(i just used a super heavy duty extension cord with the ends cut off)

you can make a cord for the welder with two different style plugs
(the different style plugs are mostly to keep you from plugging something that is over rated for the circuit, into the wrong outlet) :spank:
then later on you can change the plugs at the wall later if you want

ToddMcF2002 05-02-2011 10:36 AM

Its a Lincoln Mig 180 which I hear people running on 30A breakers like mine. Of course nothing else on the line drawing current.

I guess for the welder I'll get some 8ga wire and have an extension created to deal with the plug mismatch.

I would use an electrician to make the extension, but rerouting the 220 I was going to do since the breaker is off and I'm not even detaching the outlet from the wire. It is currently mounted on a piece of plywood behind the dryer, so it will come free easily. As far as wiring the compressor, the power cord I bought has 3 hoops to match the terminals on the compressor. The middle one is ground on the cord so I think I can do it. I'll plug it in and.... stand over by the panel when I hit the breaker! :D

matts37chev 05-02-2011 11:01 AM

again, i'm just worried that the dryer circuit is not big enough to support your welder. :pain:
how many amps does the welder say it needs?

what size and how long are the wires for that dryer?

if you can put the wires on the compressor, you can make the extension cord ;)

ToddMcF2002 05-02-2011 12:24 PM

The dryer wire is about 30 feet.

I found some specs in a PDF, I believe the answer is 20A...

Input Current @ Rated Output
20A

Input Power is listed as:
208/230/1/60

Rated Output Current/Voltage/Duty Cycle
130A/17V/30%
130A/20V/30%

Output Range
30-180 Amps DC
50-500 ipm WFS
(1.3-12.7 m/min)
Max. OCV: 33

crownver 05-02-2011 12:31 PM

I looked on the Lincoln site and the welder only draws 20 amps. The dryer would be a 30 amp circuit so you should be good to go. What does the compressor draw?

matts37chev 05-02-2011 02:26 PM

i bet the compressor doesn't draw too much

matts37chev 05-02-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
i bet the compressor doesn't draw too much

i just looked at the pics of the compressor in another thread and on the back of the motor it said 16.6 amps for 230 volt
you will be good to go :thumbup:

ToddMcF2002 05-02-2011 03:03 PM

Awesome guys thank you!