Hot Rod Forum banner

wiring 68 firebird

9K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
:) Hi everyone I am new here and am hoping to get help with my prodject car it is a 68 firebird. I am having propblems with tracking circut that feeds inside of the car. If someone could give me a diagram of the wiring harness at the fire wall that would be a big help..........Thanks

#4 ·
The Diagrams posted by EOD Guy are great and will work for a Firebird as well as a Camaro. Sometimes and I don't know how much experience you have with electrical they may seem a bit difficult to follow (I know I used to have and to be honest, sometimes still have my own problems figuring out factory schematics). If that's the situation that your in, here is a little tick or solution that might work. I have either downloaded (when available or ordered) wiring diagrams from "Painless Wiring" or other aftermarket wiring companies. The schematics are for their own wiring kits but the process is similar to factory with much easier step by step wiring procedures. If these factory diagrams help you and get you through your problem, that's great and hope they do. I just felt from past experience that this may be an alternative with complete, simple to follow directions.

Ray

#5 ·
wiring 68 fire bird

:) I have done many upgrades on this car new hightorque starter new aftermarket front subframe among many others. I tried to put every thing back like was but am having lot electric issues just trying to sort them out one at a time need to get power into ign. switch and fuse block then trace others down.

#6 ·
If you'd like I'll post the diagram that I drew up for my 67 Camaro. It's based off the Painless kit I put in....... They will not give you a complete diagram, soooooo I drew one up for my application. It has pwr windows, locks, RS head light w/ doors, internal regulated alt and a Dakota digital VHX gauge cluster..... but it's really easy to follow and most of the wire colors are Chevy based.

#8 ·
As I mentioned in a previous post EOD Guy is correct and offering a viable solution. I'm not the best at following manufacturer's schematics and have solved many an electrical problem by looking at the aftermarket's diagrams and instructions...much easier to follow that GM's diagrams.

Best of luck and hope this works for you.

Ray

#9 · (Edited)
This might help you out on the bulkhead connector.....

18g Blk – Wiper motor
20g Drk Blu – Oil sending unit
20g Brk Grn – Water temp sending unit
12g Purpl – Starter soleniod
14g Purpl – Heater blower motor
20g Tan – Brake fluid low level
20g Wht/Org/Purpl – Coil
18g Yell - Wiper motor
18g Lt Blu – Wiper motor
18g Brk Blu – Wiper motor
--------------------------------
16g Tan – LH headlight
20g Purpl – Parking lights (splits into 2 wires)
20g Drk Blu – RH turn
20g Lt Blu – LH turn
20g Blk – Horn Relay
12g Red into a connector to 12g Blk – Horn relay
16g Brown – Voltage regulator
16 Lt Grn – LH headlight
------------------------------------
Things to check

10g Red from the pos post on the battery to the junction block
10g Red from the junction block, located on the radiator core support next to the battery, comes across in front of core support, to the Horn Relay. This wire is spliced into a factory splice near the horn relay.

From this splice it goes to:
1 - a short piece of 20g orange wire than ends up at the voltage regulator, this is the fuseable link.
2 - 10g Red that ends up at the Alt on the large lug on the rear, this is the charge wire
3 - 10g red that ends up at the horn relay and is the feed for most of the electrical system

The horn relay acts as a connection point for the pwr comming from the battery it has 4 wires
1 - Brk Grn – goes to the horn
2 - Red – feed from batt as mentioned above
3 - 20g Blk – to bulkhead connector, on the dash side of the connector - it is the hot feed for the steering column connector
4 - 16g Blk – to a connector and turns into 12g Red, then to the bulkhead connector, on the dash side of the connector - it is spliced several times and is the hot feed for Ing Switch, Light switch and the fuse block

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.