Hot Rod Forum banner

wiring 72 column into 51 chevy

858 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  78 monte 
#1 ·
Have installed 72 el camino tilt steering column into 51 chevy. Wiring impossible!!!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Stop lights work, one is brighter than other. Turn signals not working for rear. Left front signal is the only one working. Thanks Mike

#2 ·
Mike, spend the $165 and buy an EZ WIRE wiring kit. Plugs into your column plug and wire their plug according to gm specs and away you go. Don't have a book right here (I am a dealer for EZ WIRE but am not trying to sell you a kit) but I can tell you tommorrow what your wires go to.

cheated :
on the plug on your column the gm wire colors

Black --- Horn
Light Blue--- LF Turn Signal
Dark Blue--- RF Turn Signal
Brown--- Hazard Flasher
Purple--- Turn Flasher
Yellow--- LR Turn Signal
Green--- RR Turn Signal
White--- Stop Light Switch

If one of your tailights is brighter than the other as your brake lights are, then one is wired bassakwards.

Purple / White---Ignition Start
Pink---Coil
Brown---Acc fuse panel
Orange---Ignition Switched
Red--Battery Hot!

#3 · (Edited)
Yea,either get a GM wiring harness from(EZ or painless etc..)that plugs right in.Or take the cheap way out and get a old GM harness outta the You-pull-it yard for $15 and go from there.
I've got a corvette column in my car with an old truck harness.I had a problem with the signals flashing oposite the arm,I had to swap the wires at the harness plug.Which were oposite the dash indicators,which lead to me takeing the whole dash out and redecorating:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.