Hot Rod Forum banner

wiring cd stereo in 95 plymouth voyager

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
Unhappy wiring cd stereo in 95 plymouth voyager

need help, bought a cd stereo for my 95 voyager. took out the old factory am/fm cassette player, however i am stumped the wire colors don't match up with the wiring have tried different wires and the best i have gotten is the player will power on but after a few seconds it loses power. neither the owners manual nor the sound system manual has a wiring diagram that says what the wires are. am lost my local library doesn't have any automotive repair manuals .....it is to small and is not part of any interlibrary loan system.....right now i have no radio and no stereo it a real bummer don't have the $ to take it somewhere where they install....any help available would be greatly appreciated. i have put things like this in other wheels i have had and never ever ran into a mess like this.:confused:

#3 ·
no i didn't cut the factory plug off. but apparently someone else did because the only wires with a factory plug on them are the speaker wires. the rest of the wires were just stripped and twisted to the factory radio wires it didn't have a plug either. thanks any way hope someone has an answer.:pain:

#6 ·
Standard After~market wiring

Doc here:pimp:

The STANDARD wire Colors For After-market Stereos is As Follows:

(yours May differ Slightly)

POWER PLUG:
  • RED=12 VOLTS SWITCH POWER (fused)
  • BLACK=CHASSIS GROUND
  • YELLOW=CONSTANT 12 VOLTS (fused)
  • BLUE=POWER ANTENNA OR AMP REMOTE

AUDIO PLUG (TWO WIRES EACH):

Do not use body ground for Speaker NEG...you'll burn your CD / Radio up. Always run a separate Neg wire...
  • PURPLE=RIGHT REAR, STRIPPED TO NEG SPKR TAB
  • GREEN=LEFT REAR, STRIPPED TO NEG SPKR TAB
  • GRAY=RIGHT FRONT, STRIPPED TO NEG SPKR TAB
  • WHITE=LEFT FRONT, STRIPPED TO NEG SPKR TAB

In the Vehicle you will have to find:
  • SWITCHED POWER, 12 VOLTS IN ON/ACC
  • CONSTANT 12 VOLTS FOR MEMORY PRESETS.
  • SOLID GROUND
  • POWER ANTENNA
  • vehicle SPEAKER WIRES, OR RUN NEW (ADVISED)
Remember to update your fuses, your new CD will probably Draw more than the old one.

Hope it helps!

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.