Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wiring compressor
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Bob,
First, I would never want to give advise that might harm or KILL somebody. Electricity is something that you cannot take lightly or it will do just that. With that said I will give you my opinion what I think you should do. You really need to supply your air compressor with 220vac form you breaker box with the recomended 220 volt breaker. This type breaker will work properly if something should happen where the two seperate breakers might not and could cause some damage or personal harm. You never want to take shortcuts or chances when it comes to electricity. Also depending on the distance you have to run the wire you will need at least a number 10 AWG maybe 8 AWG size copper wire or comprable size aluminum wire (the smaller the number the larger the wire). You more than likly have 12 or 14 AWG at your recepticles and that would be too small anyway and would get very hot and could cause damage. If I were you I would consult a local electrician and have him give you a hand or at least show you the SAFEST and best way to take care of your need.
I hope this has helped and I hope that I did not step on your toes with my response... I just think that the safe way is always the best way.

Sincerely,
Rok Hoblitzell