Originally Posted by bullheimer
i used to frequent a dyi forum for electrical work, but i realized i was probably doing more harm that good. i STRONGLY recommend against you laymen doing ANY electrical work at all. some people think that if they can use a screwdriver and have a dyi book that they are electricians. y'aarrrr!!!
I could not agree more! I have in the past said that these threads about wiring compressors (or most anything) can be just plain dangerous and should be left to a pro or at least checked out by a pro before turning on the power. I am not a licensed electrician but I did learn the basics of wiring by spending many years installing equipment. I have seen a heck of a lot of DIY installations with problems ranging from just would not run to damage to the equipment and all of these fellows had asked advice from someone else. The biggest problem I see with "long distance" advice on wiring is the safety concerns, several times I have seen compressors wired by a DIYer that was improperly grounded and when the hazard was pointed out every single time the response was "but it runs just fine"
I think that probably anyone here could do a proper job of wiring AFTER a bit of instruction but guys electricity is nothing to teach yourself because it is VERY unforgiving to mistakes and has no conscience at all!