Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wiring compressor
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzz
bluesman...........you do not understand the intent of what I am doing.......I fully understand that that my set-up is not to the NEC or any other code. What I am doing is being creative the same way as many on this site are doing with cars............mixing and matching parts and solutions to produce something that works and is safe. I fully appreciate your knowledge of the electrical code but I am showing my temporary solution to the fact that I don't have space in my main panel for another line.

To cut through all the BS....................bottom line from MY perspective...........a #10 wire carries 30 amps safely.....solid or stranded, regardless of sheathing.......show me the ENGINEERING REASON, how 30A or 20A is different from a dryer, welder, compressor or heater (other than duty cycle). The code as you state says that a cord for a dryer must be used solely for a dryer but I say that # 10 is #10 and it don't make a damn bit of difference what is on the other end (assuming of course the draw is 30A or less). I am simply using an electrical cord designed to bolt up to to a specific application and ADAPTING it for use with another, similar to what many are doing with cars. I say that as long as wire size and connections are correct what I have is safe. However, I am open to any engineering evidence that says otherwise.
I agree, citing code is not the science behind the code, explain the physics behind the code (if there is a science behind the code).

I believe many times a UBC is implemented to keep a problem from happening and is a "universal" solution .
For example using the dryer pigtail as the op has.
IF the wire size,plug and receptacle are all rated at the appropriate amperage there is no superlicious risk of using it.
The problem most likely came about somewhere sometime in the past where the hard wiring was up to the job at hand but some one put an undersized cord on it, assuming it would be ok because it was "big". (as in where the manufacturer use an extra thick covering to hide the fact there is little copper wire inside).
The easy way out was to write code to state NO mismatched use of pig tails, much simpler to write and enforce then to state an exact requirement for each installation.
A good example of safe but illegal is to put a 15 amp cord cap on a piece of 12-3 romex and terminate the other end in a box with a 15 amp receptacle for use as an extension cord. ( used to be common on construction work sites)

It is illegal to cut the end cap off an extension cord and add a box.
The box can be of proper construction, properly connected, properly grounded, and it is still illegal.
Why? Because you cannot safely assume the electrician that made the cord did it correctly and therefore an unsafe condition with its construction could exist.
It is assumed that an identical cord produced by a manufacturer is always properly manufactured.(who knows what the Chinese actually do)

Imo, there will be no final word on this topic, the code guys will pound their code books, and no one is going to say the installation is safe.

I think and it is just my opinion that the op has used a bit of ingenuity and thought to make a workable "hotrod" solution.