Hot Rod Forum banner

wiring compressor

9K views 78 replies 19 participants last post by  grouch 
#1 ·
I just purchased a compressor with a 15amp 240 v motor.
I have 2 separate 110v circuits close to the compressor.
Can I use the hot leg from each of these circuits to supply 220v?
Logically it sounds correct, but I am not an electrician.
Thanks,
Bob

#77 ·
scotzz said:
I never asked for "justification"...........just wanted constructive input for the application that I devised.................similar to the "hotrodding" applications that this site is devised for. Obviously you are a union electrician that goes "by the book".............again........I am not doing that.

My house will not burn down...........I am comfortable with that......why? Bcause I understand wire sizes/breakers and loads..........not just what he "code" tells me. I am comfortable that my set-up is OK ...........and as confirmation I offer 30 years of doing my own 110/220v home wiring.

I question your knowledge of home wiring as you have never offered a single technical fact to back any of your statements. In all honestly I would feel very unsure of any electrical work I did if I my only source of confirmation was a book (the code) to tell me what to do. Why?..........because then I would have no idea of what I am actually doing...........just going by a "code"......no technical knowledge.....pretty scary. If you understand the realtionships of wire size/load, you are comfortable with designing a system "not from the book" (gee...just like a brake system). Just so you know..........I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade..............and basic home wiring is no sweat.............so don't try to use the "code" to shoot down my solution.

What does being UNION have to do with most likely being a LICENSED electrician that never bootlegs in an installation?

Believe it or not , there are rat electricians that do follow the book and have pride in their work.

#78 ·
bluesman2333 said:
Yea, I decided I'm not going to respond anymore. People looking for justification for their work will argue until the day they die in the fire that the dangerous and illegal work started.
I question his intent on why he posted. He asked for opinions, got them, and then criticized them.

Old Fool said:
Believe it or not , there are rat electricians that do follow the book and have pride in their work.
I agree about the pride to do things "right".
I too am an amateur that has been doing my own work for many years. I am friendly with my licensed electrician. If he told me I had done something not quite right or not to code, I would re-do it, and that very thing has happened. It has also happened with plumbing I have done myself. I am friendly with my licensed plumber as well.

#79 ·
roger1 said:
I agree about the pride to do things "right".
I too am an amateur that has been doing my own work for many years. I am friendly with my licensed electrician. If he told me I had done something not quite right or not to code, I would re-do it, and that very thing has happened. It has also happened with plumbing I have done myself. I am friendly with my licensed plumber as well.
Ditto! I like to start with the assumption that the person who does the work for a living, and gets praise to go with the pay, knows how the job should be done.

My local plumbing inspector got a grin at the plan I showed him, but took the time to sketch the way it should be done. I scrapped my plan for his, even though the situation did not require his approval. My late brother-in-law, a licensed electrician, told me I could get by safely with my plan for rewiring my garage, especially since it wouldn't have to be inspected where I live, but, "if it was mine..." -- again, I scrapped my plan for his and learned from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.