Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wiring diagram for mallory ing.system
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 05:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by waltmail
Oh my gosh. You may have the worst electronic distributor ever designed. The Mallory Unilite deserves every bad thing said about it. You can blow a module in a heartbeat and be dead in the water without a replacement. The added insult is the cost of the module. Try about $90.00. That's almost half the price of the whole distributor. The theory is simple, as it is just an optical interrupt, but the voltage operating range is so narrow that the vehicle can easily exceed this range and self destruct the module. I switched to a Ford Duraspark distributor controlled by and MSD 6 box and have never been more happy. I sold my new Mallory Unilite with a blown module to a guy who stuck a Pertronix device in place of the module. Good Luck.
Really? I have been running a Unilite for about 4 years without issue. Optical pickups have less variance in timing from cylinder to cylinder than magnetic.
You are probably generally right about Mallory. Their products have never impressed me as being good quality. Personally, I have had good luck with their products.
I have recently purchased an MSD billet distributor with a mag pickup just because my current dist. is getting old. This will be a good match with my 6A.

Just my 02.

Brad