Hot Rod Forum banner

wiring diagram for start, ignition, and charge systems?

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
New here. Thanks for any help. Does anyone have a SIMPLE wiring diagram for start, ignition, and charge systems?

#8 ·
Not sure what you are asking......

#10 wire from ignition-starter ........ (I don't run a fusible link on this wire)

#12 wire from selenoid-coil+ ........(I don't run a fusible link on this wire)

I run a 70 amp circuit breaker, just off the + post on the battery, that everything is run through except the battery cable to the starter. My thought Painless wiring did it that way (they used a 70 Maxi fuse) and I've not found an issue with it.

#11 · (Edited)
Strick..... resistor wire and fusible link wire are not the same thing.

I have used regular wire from the ignition switch to a ballast resistor like this

1 6 Ohm Ignition Coil Ballast Resistor | eBay

then regular wire from the ballast resistor to the pos terminal on the coil. The ceramic surrounding the resistor does get hot so it has to be mounted so it won't melt anything, I normally mount it to the fire wall.

Far easier way is to get a HEI from a salvage yard, that has basically two wires to hook up, not resistor etc..... just a full 12 volts when the key is in start and/or run. The 2nd wire is for a tach. New pig tails can be purchased from Advance Auto for cheap.

#12 ·
Thanks, EOD Guy. A friend suggested the HEI, also. Motor was running setting in frame. Now, the body is on and I'm trying to use the original wiring as much as possible until I get it running again before I make motor changes. I will go to HEI when I change to tri-power set-up. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.