Wiring an electric fan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 02:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring an electric fan

Do I need to do anything fancy like relays or whatever? I am planning on just making it come on when the ignition comes on with a hot wire from the key. Its hot in texas, so I figured it would not hurt to run it all the time. Any thoughts from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Run it through a relay, they pull a lot of current at startup and run it through a switch of some type either a manual of a temp activated type. All the switch will do is to turn the relay on and off.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:20 PM

What is the purpose (function) of the relay?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:24 PM

Yes. You definatly need a relay. Most fans draw 20amps, that will fry your wiring box, and or switch.
Just find a spot on your fuse panel that is hot only when the switch is on, and wire that to the trigger terminel on your noid.
I would also recommend instead of doing that. (But the info is there if you really wanna do that)
I would recommend hooking up a temperature probe, I got one from Autozone for like 20 bucks. Wire that ALWAYS hot, directly to the battery with a fuse of course. So wire the PROBE always hot, then wire the probe to the trigger on the relay. This always your fans to function on and off (The probe is adjustable) like normal. But the part I love the most about it is that after you turn off your car the water just sits, so the temperature will rise. This setup will allow your fans to run for 1-2 minutes (depending how low you set the temperature) after you have already turned off your vehicle.
I did this setup on an IROC-Z that I own, I am really liking the setup. If you get a probe that taps into your heads you could also wire that to an electronical water pump, wich would allow your car to warm up faster and cool off faster. ESP great for hwen you shut off your car, go into a convience store for 5 mintues and start it up again.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Although it's a little pricey @ $60.00 Painless sells a complete set up that runs the fan automatically. It contains the relay, temp probe (install in head or block), circuit breaker and all necessary associated wiring. Their are two versions: (1) 220* on -- 185* off and (2) 185* on -- 170* off. Running the fan all the time puts an unnecessary load on the battery and fan alike also there's always the chance that you forget to turn the fan on and hurt the engine before you notice. The automatic set up takes care of everything and lets you enjoy your ride.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:57 PM

Okay, I'm convinced. I will probably opt for the painless setup. BUT, can anyone tell me what the purpose or function of the relay is? I don't know what it does, and that bothers me. And what about resistors? What do they do?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

You don't want to run a lot of amps (power) thru your switches and also the longer your power wires are the more power drop you have. By mounting the relay close to the object your powering and running your heavy gage power wires to it, you supply it with more power and can trip the circuit with a much smaller wire form a sensor or switch.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

The relay takes the power-jolt off of the switch and handles it INSTEAD of the switch. It also creates a more direct power source -- instead of the power wire running all the way to the switch and then back out to the fan, the power wire goes directly to the relay and the relay sends it directly to the fan.

When an electric fan kicks in, it (initially) draws a whole lot more than 20 or 30 amps and a relay handles that much better than a switch does.

When a fan turns on and off a LOT, the contacts will wear sooner ... to avoid that, I use TWO relays on my 16" fan:
See Here

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.