Wiring front and rear LH and RH signal lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring front and rear LH and RH signal lights

Alright boys, need some help. I have a 1965 Chevy Chevy II SS that I have rewired myself without a painless wiring type kit. I purchased a universal blade fuse box from a Goodguys car show and have got everything all wired up except the LH signal and RH signal lights. Everything is working great except those two. I'm pretty sure there needs to be a relay hooked up, however, nothing shows in the wiring diagram I have posted here. If I do need a relay can somebody please show me how to hook it up. Any help is much appreciated. I also purchase some a brand new signal switch inside the steering column with a harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5657_1497416498483.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	362233  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 4,443 Times in 2,626 Posts
No relay needed.

I suspect the turn signal switch is wired incorrectly or is defective. Both the brake lights and rear signal lights wire through the switch because they share the same rear tail light element.

John
Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 AM

Last photo:

I see no need for a relay unless your not using a GM steering column. You do need flashers, one for turns and one for the 4 way flashers. The bulb sockets must be grounded.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

EOD: aren't the bulbs grounded to the chassis? There is two wires coming from the parking light housing. One for parking lights and the other for flashers/turn signal. I'm sure I have it wires wrong, with that being said, can you help me out? I'm not sure what goes to power on the harness, how the flashers work etc...it is and OEM, wiring harness.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

John: yes, that is correct, I just can seem to get them to flash, and I have no idea how to hook up the four way flashers.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

Turn signal

The flat plug coming out of the column is standard GM color coding whereas your harness may or may not have the same colors BUT the wires are also marked with letters that should match up. As mentioned above the brake lights and rear turn signals share the same bulb and is controlled by that plastic thing inside the column. White wire is power in from the brake light switch. This power goes to the brake lights when the brakes are applied and will cause one light to blink if the turn signal is on. There are two wires going back to the brake lights to control each bulb separately. Horn wire is black and ground only for the horn relay. Next are wires for the front turn signals. There should be TWO wires for each, one for the light and one for the dash indicator light. Next is the wire from the turn flasher. Last is the wire from the 4 way flasher. THAT'S IT.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

39 master: Great info, the only thing I'm a little confused about is the brake light blinker? I get that they are the same bulb, just a little confused about the brake having to be applied to make the signal blink. So I have to apply brakes to cause them to blink? How exactly does that work? Also, it is a new OEM harness so the wire colors all match up with the diagram I posted. It's a new fuse box with wires I had laying around the house, so those don't match up. Do you know where the colors go for each repected wire from the harness? I see in the diagram that I posted, however, it does not do a good job showing what wire does what from the firewall harness, just shows the colors.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

GM columns haven't changed mush in many years.

This is a simplified diagram.... you may have four headlights and a dimmer switch etc......

The turn signal mech inside the steering column does the switching....... when the turn sig level is in the neutral position and you step on the brakes the brake lights illuminate, both sides.

When the turn signal is in the L or R turn position..... power is fed thru the sig flasher to the L/R signal. The flasher works on a bi-metal principal..... two dissimilar metals are bonded together, when electricity passes thru the bi-metal strip, one of metals will heat up faster than the other and curl..... which disconnects the flasher contacts and the signal light goes off, the metal cools off pretty quick and un-curls and makes contact again and the sig light comes back on.....or blinks. When you step on the brake , while its blinking, the brake switch provides power to the sig light, bypassing the flasher, so the signal light stays on.... brake lights.... that's not exactly how it works, but I didn't want to lose you etc.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GM column connector.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	362257  

Last edited by EOD Guy; 06-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Turn signal

Here goes...appears that you have a fuse box with no flashers included. You will have to go to a parts store and pick up TWO flashers. They are round, about an inch in diameter and have two male spade connections on them.

For the rear flashers, run a wire from the fuse box (keyed) to one leg of the flasher then from the column run the PURPLE wire to the other leg of the flasher. From the column run the GREEN wire to the right rear brake light. from the column run the YELLOW wire to the left rear brake light. DONE.

For the 4 way flashers, run a wire from the fuse panel (always on) to one leg of the flasher then run from the column run the BROWN wire to the other leg of the flasher. DONE

If you step on the brakes without a signal on power goes directly to both stop lights. If you have a signal on power goes thru the flasher for THAT bulb only, flasher heats up, breaks the circuit, cools, reconnects, heats, cools...blink, blink, blink. Same with the 4 ways. Push the button on the column and power goes thru the flasher and all 4 blink. Note you want continuous power going to the 4 ways for emergency without the key on.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

The thing kicked me out of my post before I could finish editing it.... here's the second way it works and is accurate for GM columns.

When the turn signal is in the neutral position, brake lights illuminate both sides. When the lever is in the L/R position, and the brake is depressed, the column turn mech disrupts the brake light feed and power is fed from the flasher unit …….. flasher can works like described in the earlier post.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Passenger door skinnned
Last photo:

See if this will help clarify how the brake and turn signal work using the same element in the bulb. What has been posted in words is shown below V

Greg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BKLites.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	362265  
Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

You guys are awesome, ???????? Thank you very much. I will attempt to fix Friday. I will post results that night and let you know if I got it done, again, thank you for your time and help. This all makes so much sense. Love this stuff!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

This questions marks were emojis. LOL
Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

39 master: correct the fuse box did not come with flashers. You are the man!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

39 Master: here is a pic of my temp fuse box
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5701_1497555852104.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	362441  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.