Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wiring gone bad (terribly bad)
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ok, just went to look under the hood and it seems that the solenoid is what I was referring to as the starter switch/relay, which was smoking. I tried to start her yesterday and when she kicked to life the starter would not disengage and just kept running. It sounded as if it were stuck on with power to it and would not shut off. This only happens when the engine is running. The left post (small one) is connected to a brown wire. The right (small) post is connected to a red and blue wire. The left post (large) is connected to the starter and the right post (large) is connected to the battery and the voltage regulator. Does the alternator connect to the right post (large) where the battery is connected?

To shut off the starter I loosened the nut on the left post (big) that was connected to the starter and i shut the starter off but the engine stayed on. The next time this didn't work and I unplugged the left post (small) and the engine shut off but the starter continued to crank with the key in the ON position (this is when I got the smoke out of it). So if I had the alternator plugged into the battery/solenoid right why would the starter not shut off? Is the solenoid fried and thats it....

The more I learn the more I believe I had it hooked up correctly so what the hell happened? The engine does not just start once the key is in the on position...but will not turn off when I turn the key to the off position which is why I thought I had the alternator hooked up wrong.

BTW this is a picture of what I was calling a starter switch/relay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...spagenameZWDVW

EDIT: When I say left I mean looking over the passenger side fender of the car down at the solenoid (which is mounted on the inner passenger side fender) ... so opposite of whats in the picture of the link.

Last edited by 65Mustang289HIPO; 04-24-2006 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Left to Right on solenoid