Hot Rod Forum banner

wiring harness for a 81 chev c10

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MDmotors 
#1 ·
I bought an 81 chevy silverado C10, that was previously a Diesel but the old owner switched it to a 350 small block. The wiring is jumbled up. Would I be better off buying a complete wiring harness kit and replacing the whole thing. Or what should I do?

#2 ·
When you buy a quality kit it comes with instructions and the wires are marked as t purpose so it makes life a bit easier in getting things sorted out.. If you are inclined making the existing wiring neat is just a time consumer..Probably all you need to do..

Sam

#3 ·
Where is it all messed up...under the hood, inside the cab, or at the rear??

Under the hood, you could just get an un-molested Gas engine harness from a salvage yard. '73-87 are pretty much all the same from firewall plug on out, and wiring diagrams are available that make it easy to spot where changes have occurred, like the mid-80's switch to electric windshield washer pump and other minor differences.

Once you remove the center bolt from firewall bulkhead at backside of fusebox, the harness unplugs, and then the plug slips apart into two separate sections...one for engine wiring, and one for the rest of the front end like lights, heator motor, horn, wipers. Real simple to work with once removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.