Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   wiring harness reviews (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wiring-harness-reviews-227846.html)

panhead1961 01-01-2013 05:32 PM

wiring harness reviews

I have searched for wiring harness reviews but most of the information is a few years old. I need to buy a wiring harness and just wanted to see what you guys are using. Looks like EZ is a decent one, speedway sells one,,,on and on.
How about this guy, anyone bought a wiring harness form him?

Enos Custom Components, San Luis Obispo

Thanks
Steve

NEW INTERIORS 01-01-2013 07:06 PM

I only use EZ-Wiring.. Never had any problem with their kits.. Very easy to wire a car with one..;)

EOD Guy 01-02-2013 03:01 AM

I only use "Painless" easy install..... yadda yadda

sunsetdart 01-02-2013 03:57 AM

Ron Francis is also a good one to look at.

cobalt327 01-02-2013 08:10 AM

I see the Hotrodders Company Reviews forum is back... might want to see what's there.

The only premade wiring I've used came from Ron Francis Wiring. Used to put a mod motor Ford into a Stude truck. Was nicely made, even though I had to do some modifying to it (not their problem).

496CHEVY3100 01-02-2013 08:16 AM

Painless is the standard everyone compares their product to .So

Joe G 01-02-2013 09:47 AM

I only use American Autowire, because they are top quality. Their fuse blocks are made from a modular system, the same system used in high-end over the road trucks. If it's good enough for vehicles designed to take a beating for millions of miles, it's good enough for me. :thumbup:

MARTINSR 01-02-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhead1961 (Post 1629574)
I have searched for wiring harness reviews but most of the information is a few years old. I need to buy a wiring harness and just wanted to see what you guys are using. Looks like EZ is a decent one, speedway sells one,,,on and on.
How about this guy, anyone bought a wiring harness form him?

Enos Custom Components, San Luis Obispo

Thanks
Steve

What are you going to be wiring? If it's something simple like a little hot rod without a bunch of accessories or a computer controled engine and all that crap a simple hot rod wire harness is a piece of cake to make. Not only that you get so much more educated about your car by making it.

Brian

panhead1961 01-02-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1629758)
What are you going to be wiring? If it's something simple like a little hot rod without a bunch of accessories or a computer controled engine and all that crap a simple hot rod wire harness is a piece of cake to make. Not only that you get so much more educated about your car by making it.

Brian

Made one for my 32 Plymouth...never again. :nono:

They are too cheap for all that time on making one...and fiberglass burns very easily ;)

American Autowire looks good but twice as much as others?

malc 01-02-2013 01:55 PM

Rebel Wire.

John long 01-02-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc (Post 1629818)

Ditto on Rebel wire. I had them do a custom order for me and was pleased not only with the product but the service I received. The fact that they were priced very reasonably was a nice perk too. I will definitely use them again for my next project.

John L

model-a 01-02-2013 03:07 PM

That's what I used worked great on my shoebox,plus when I had some trouble got them on the phone and he helped a lot,talked right to the guy that made it.

302 Z28 01-02-2013 03:17 PM

There are a myriad of auto wiring harness manufacturers. If you buy by price only you will get an inferior harness. You need to research the comany and the harness you are considering. Will they tell you what type of wire they use? If not look elsewhere. The best and stsndard wire to use in an auto harness is "gxl" wire.

Vince

Joe G 01-02-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhead1961 (Post 1629806)
Made one for my 32 Plymouth...never again. :nono:

They are too cheap for all that time on making one...and fiberglass burns very easily ;)

American Autowire looks good but twice as much as others?

They are expensive, but they come with a new ignition switch, headlight switch, mega-fuse (175A), GM steering column connectors and terminals, Instrument cluster connector, printed wires, headlight connectors, lamp socket terminals, 6 gauge alternator and main feed wires w/ terminals, alternator (Delco) connector and diode kit, GXL wire, step by step color wiring diagrams, and an overall color wiring diagram.

So the big price is partially justified by the additional parts you get.....unless you don't need them.

The choice is yours.

Good Luck....:thumbup:

John long 01-02-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1629758)

Brian

Brian is correct that you can wire your own car. It is very do-able and educational. I had always wired my own until the last one. I am a retired telephone man so basic two wire electronics is not foreign to me. The reason I went to a kit was I loved the idea of all the wires being color coded AND LABELED and the proper guage. You realisticly can not do this on your own. This is the reason I ordered and really liked my Rebel Harness. Not that other brands may not be good. I just know Rebel was good and reasonably priced.

John L