wiring harness uninstall / install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wiring harness uninstall / install

If anybody knows could you please help me..
i need to know if anybody knows the proedre for un-installing a TPI wiring harness from a 1988 iroc.

And can anybody tell me the proedure for installing the TPI wiring harness into my 1986 buick regal?

thanks for the help guys...

boneyard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've done some similar harness swaps. I would say to label your wires as much as possible with masking tape or something. Even label the routing of the harness if you can, that will help in the re-install. If you take your time you should be able to get a lot (if not all) of the harness intact without any cutting.

Installation should be reverse. but you may need to lengthen or shorten the harness depending on the differences between the Buick and Camaro engine compartment layouts. If you need to lengthen, it's nice to have a junk harness around that you can get the right colored wires out of. The best way to splice is to crimp, solder and heat shrink. I usually just solder and heat shrink.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

and while your at it...

[size=3]Doc here

As V~8 Said...

Solder and Heat shrink is the absolute Best way to go for extending wires...

Make sure you have a good mechanical bond, (twist wires counter to each other..for a straight connection) Then be sure your iron and work is hot enough and flow the solder in ... Cold joints are a pain to find later! And don't forget your Shrink tubing before you solder....

And as stated Before...Mark everything!

Take Your Digi~Camera along BEFORE you pull the donor Harness so you have a point of reference installing it...

Use Plastic wire marker Tie wraps or masking Tape if nothing else is available, and an indelible, Sharpie Marker, to write on your tape or markers with.

I always put plastic Sandwich bags over the ends with a rubber band on the markers so you don't rip them off routing them..And if you have something your unsure of, remove the unit and leave it plugged in on the harness until you can figure it out.

While your at it, you might want to pick up a copy of Haynes or Chilton's For both Cars BEFORE you start the project...and compare the harness connections...So you don't have any surprises you may not be able to reverse (without a lot of hassle)

You may be able to get copies of the schematics at your local library reference desk If you don't want to spend $40 on books...

Hope it helps and good luck!

Doc
[/size]

Last edited by docvette; 11-03-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.