wiring help needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

wiring help needed

OK guys I am an old timer but I am looking for some help on a street rod Im building. I got a 1986 TPI Camaro engine with 700R4, Im swapping it into a 32 Chevy Confederate. I had the wiring harness converted to a stand alone, similar to Painless wiring you can buy today. ( the engine was new when I started) I lost the diagram over the years and now I am working to fire it up. I figured out most of the wiring as they only plug in one way. My 1st problem I got is a purple wire that has an eyelet attached for a small bolt, maybe the starter solenoid? or an after market switch. I traced this purple wire to two sensors, one in the front center of the intake manifold the other in the left side center of the manifold under the injectors. What do these 2 sensors do, measure temp? and what are they connected to, 12 volts ? all the time, during starting? or when the key is on? another question I got is a sensor mounted under the EGR valve. what or where does that attach to? I believe it tell the computer when the EGR valve is open, by the heat under the EGR. I have a single brown wire coming from the computer pin #B3 what would that be for ? and there is a wire marked "Clutch brake lite switch" I think it is to lockup the converter. does that wire get 12 volts from the brake lite switch? or does it get ground? I would really appreciate any help you guys got. I bought a Camaro manual but the schematic does not show anything. P-Air

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

If this is for a 165 ECM, B3 should be a Blk/Red wire and is EST Ref Low. Here is a link that has a pinout for the 165 ECM.

[URL=http://www.cis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/]

Last edited by 47 Coupe; 10-12-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM

tpi help

hay your purple wire will be tied to those two things one is the temp switch and the other is the 9th injector for the cold start it is the power up the 9th injector for starting enrichment i would have to look up the brown wire u are talking about and 47 coup is looking in the write direction u need to know what ecm u are using thy are different and will have different pin outs ill see if i can get my old tpi book out and see what it goes to and u were write about the wire from under the egr it is to sense the temp and tell the ecm about open and close egr valve
Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Irocz
hay your purple wire will be tied to those two things one is the temp switch and the other is the 9th injector for the cold start it is the power up the 9th injector for starting enrichment i would have to look up the brown wire u are talking about and 47 coup is looking in the write direction u need to know what ecm u are using thy are different and will have different pin outs ill see if i can get my old tpi book out and see what it goes to and u were write about the wire from under the egr it is to sense the temp and tell the ecm about open and close egr valve
OK now where do I hook this wire under the EGR valve? The brown wire turns out to be speed sensor and used to go to the instrument cluster. Do I need it???????
Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 AM

wireing help

OK i found my handy little book the brown wire in B13 is a ground reference for the 4 pin plug that should go to the dist and your egr temp switch also listed as an egr diagnostic switch and it needs to be wired if u are using it to a dark green wire in c15 their is a great book on these set ups as long as u are using the 165 ecm it is called tuned port fuel injection BY Frank Chco Munday and looks to have been printed by Graffiti Hot rodders hand book it has wary detailed information on what every wire goes to and what ones are needed adn what wires are not needed good diagrams and excellent photos i highly recommend it if you are working on a maf tuned port system from 86 to 89
Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

wth is a chevy confederate?? lol?
thats a vehicle?
and i thought todays vehicle names were odd, wow...

purple on GM is always starter solenoid from the key switch

good luck

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.