Wiring Kits - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring Kits

has anybody used a "painless" or "EZ" wiring kit? I see them in all my hotrod mags. I have seen one of the kits on Trucks or Hot Rod tv, it seems easy enough. How do they handle the different makes? and the connectors? like for the headlight and iginition etc.. do you just spilce right up to the connector? I have done some electric stuff, and it seems easy enough, I just wanna make sure im not caught unprepared...
does anyone have a favorite maker?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Kits

Doc here,

Shoot Alan (Horvath) a PM on those kits...He has some good insight on them and some good Illustrations on his website at to installation from zero to hero..

Doc
Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM

I used a Painless wiring kit for my 65 Chevy Pickup

It was easy and simple. Wires were all bundled together for which ever location they needed to be routed to. Before I started running the wiring I laid out the new wiring and took my time in making sure of routing and making sure that the new wires would not rub or get cut along a sharp edge. Instructions were easy enough to read. Good luck with the kid you decide to go with.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

stock wiring

I've been looking at the wiring kits also, and since I'm working on a very tight budget, I thought i might try using the wiring out of a donor truck which is a 79 chevy 1/2 ton. I'm building a 48 chevy p/u. How hard a job is it going to be to get the wires out of the 79 and used in the 48? Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxpanrider
It was easy and simple. Wires were all bundled together for which ever location they needed to be routed to. Before I started running the wiring I laid out the new wiring and took my time in making sure of routing and making sure that the new wires would not rub or get cut along a sharp edge. Instructions were easy enough to read. Good luck with the kid you decide to go with.
the part I cant figure out I guess, is the connectors. I know with some of them you can take the metal part out, crimp the new wire and stick it back in.. others look like they are "ford exclusive". my other question, do you take ALL the old wires out first? or "as you go?" what part of the task did you find the hardest??
Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfieldcars
I've been looking at the wiring kits also, and since I'm working on a very tight budget, I thought i might try using the wiring out of a donor truck which is a 79 chevy 1/2 ton. I'm building a 48 chevy p/u. How hard a job is it going to be to get the wires out of the 79 and used in the 48? Thanks in advance
You can purchase an "It's a snap" wiring kit for around $130, how cheap is that? It makes zero sense to use a harness from a junker, unless your building a junker . Use the termination connectors from the donor truck only, just clip them off, solder and shrink wrap them to the new harness.

Vince
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Thanks, Doc

I say, "Do what I did!" I bought and installed the EZ-Wire kit and had a great time doing it, too. It's a GREAT kit and is only $160.00

You can find the links and check out my pics and notes HERE

PS - Forget doing the "Donor Dance!" That sounds like a nightmare to me. I gutted my truck of all the old wiring and started fresh ... anything else, I think, would be chaos.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Crazygutgut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygutgut
the part I cant figure out I guess, is the connectors. I know with some of them you can take the metal part out, crimp the new wire and stick it back in.. others look like they are "ford exclusive". my other question, do you take ALL the old wires out first? or "as you go?" what part of the task did you find the hardest??
My grandfather bought this truck in 1966 and I have had it since I was in hight school. It has seen some different changes which had pretty much left the original wiring a mess. So what I had done was pulled out all of the old wiring and started from scratch. The exterior of each wire is printed and numbered stating for what it is designated for. Made wiring a snap. As for terminating, the kit came with terminals, plugs, and headlight sockets. It also came with different size of grommets. What I didn't like was that the kit did not have the right grommets to cover all of the old socket plugs in the firewall. But a trip to a local hardware store took care of that. Another drawback was that I ordered the kit for the truck and I have a later model tilt steering column. I just had to take the time and study the instruction manual and wire the plug accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Pan
Old 06-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Right. All the wires are labeled and if you look at it one wire at a time, the job is a piece of cake.

The EZ-Wire kit came with two different types of plugs for the column connections. I have a mid 70s GM column and one of the plugs was for GM, so it was a simple matter.

Most of the connections are just wire-to-screw types. I bought a bunch of Plastic (make sure they are vinyl) ties, plastic split loom, wire connectors of various types, a roll of 12-gauge stranded Machine Tool Wire (black - for ground connections; gasoline & oil resistant; perfect to use anywhere) ... stuff that doesn't come with the kit.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I think I might try this kit on my 66 GMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxpanrider
My grandfather bought this truck in 1966 and I have had it since I was in hight school. It has seen some different changes which had pretty much left the original wiring a mess. So what I had done was pulled out all of the old wiring and started from scratch. The exterior of each wire is printed and numbered stating for what it is designated for. Made wiring a snap. As for terminating, the kit came with terminals, plugs, and headlight sockets. It also came with different size of grommets. What I didn't like was that the kit did not have the right grommets to cover all of the old socket plugs in the firewall. But a trip to a local hardware store took care of that. Another drawback was that I ordered the kit for the truck and I have a later model tilt steering column. I just had to take the time and study the instruction manual and wire the plug accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Pan
I'm in the early (disassembly) phase of my project right now. I have bought a 1979 C20 with a 454, TH400, and tilt column.
I'd also like to add A/C and cruise (for sure) at some point, as well as (possibly) power windows and locks ... all the "creature comforts"

I have completely stripped (and labeled) all of the wiring out of the "donor" truck which actually seems to be in fairly good condition. I had originally thought that I might modify these harnesses and "blend" them into the original 1966 harnesses, which are also in decent shape.

About the only thing wrong with the 66 was the taillight wiring. It was brittle at the connection at the rear frame to taillight harness. Thieves stole my tailgate and taillights, and ruined an otherwise perfect taillight wiring harness

I did a little digging on the internet and found a "Classic Update" wiring harness, which "modernizes" the wiring system on these trucks (and many others). http://www.americanautowire.com/prod..._kits.cfm#CUK4

They sound like they have really "done their homework", but the price is fairly steep.

Seeing as how you have already done yours ... would you mind having a look at this? I'd sort of like to get your reaction, and opinion as to whether you think it's worth the extra bucks.

Thanks,
Don
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 AM

Last photo:

The EZ Wire kit I bought, for $160, is an 18-Fuse 21-circuit kit ... same as the above link. Your link adds a few extra items, like new headlght plugs ... but NOT $300 worth!

I'd go with the EZ Wire kit and buy the extra stuff you need.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

Thanks horvath your site was great, that will come in handy when I start,

I have one more question. Since the ground wire doesnt come with the kit, is it difficult to hook up? do you just run all the grounds to one spot? or do you have a bunch of grounds all over? Does the EZ wire kits say how to ground? or do you just have to figure that out?
I was leaning towards the EZ wire, cause I like the all black kit, but ez wires site has NO info, and painless has their manuals online.....

Last edited by crazygutgut; 06-08-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Nate

I'd go with EZ wire or It's a Snap. From my experience, painless is way over kill for a street application and very expensive.

I recently installed an It's a Snap kit. It is a good kit and very reasonablly priced ($90 off ebay for mine) although the instructions weren't that great.

What ever kit you get, make sure you do your homework before you start. There are lots of sitesout there, and the endless knowledge of the folks around here will help along the way. If you have a basic understanding of automotive wiring, you should have no problem doing this.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Grounding is the simplest part of the gig. Most everything is grounded by itself; being mounted to metal -- almost any metal will give you a ground source. The few things that need a separate ground wire will obviously already have one -- just replace it, so you know you have a new wire, and make sure you have a good clean wire-to-bare-metal contact.

After you get your kit ... and before you install it ... mentally go through every single wire that's in the kit, considering where it's going or where it isn't going -- some wires won't be used right away (like AC or electric seats), so you coil those up and stash 'em up under the dash somewhere and remove the fuses that're dedicated to them.

Some wires may be better routed from say the rear group to the interior group (for example) ... you'll re-route those beforehand.

Once you're absolutely sure what you'll be doing with each and every wire, then you can start installing your kit.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

wow, I just looked at the painless prices!! that isnt painless!! They are almost 400$ while EZ is around 160, and Its a snap is 140$...

Research goes without saying.. I was planning on doing this in a weekend with a friend helping me..maybe I should provide soda and not beer....

My car is a 62 ranchero, so it shouldnt be too complicated (I think) not a lot of instrumentation to begin with. I wanna plan for electric windows,(but I dont have any wiring in my door, so i am assuming im gonna have to drill holes? I have seen those contact type connecters in the magaiznes, but im guessing those need drilling too? are they reliable? and I guesss they dont work if the door is ope?? I also want to have room for accesories, like a plug for my laptop or my sirrius... The ground thing is still confusing but I think I have a better grasp now... I was considering using "tape" to wrap the wires just so it will look original, anythoughts on that? although "braided" spilt loom looks cool too. where can I buy replacement clips? those plactic clips that hold the harness to the body etc... Its seems really daunting to me to yank all the wire out first... especially in the engine compartment!!

m1e9r5c6, what part of the IAS wiring instructions were hard??

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.