Wiring a mini starter in a points system on 350 Chev. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring a mini starter in a points system on 350 Chev.

I am at a stand still on my 350 Chev. engine. I have had trouble with it not starting easily when hot. So I bought a new mini starter from Southern and got it without directions on how to wire. So I called them and they gave me the run around on how to hook it up. The problem is that the new starter has 2 terminals( one large and one push on type) where as the old starter had three. ( i,s, batt.) I also got a Ford solenoid and was going to connect it in the circuit so it would help as well. ( according to what I have seen on line) Now, I have connected the wires as have been shown in several diagrams on the forum and still I cannot get the starter to work correctly. I need to know what wires to connect to what terminal. I also have an electric fuel pump that was wired into the starter as well. Now it won't work either. I have a points system and need to have reduced voltage to the points. Can someone help me figure this out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Your old starter had 3 terminals, one large and 2 smaller.
The Battery cable and possibly feeds for the rest of the car would go on the large terminal.
The Pink or purple wire goes on the (s)tart terminal to engage the starter.
if you had the third terminal (I) it is usually used to feed full voltage to the distributor/coil while cranking, when you go back to the run position the Distributor/coil gets fed from a resistor wire. Im sure you could wire in a relay to duplicate this. I will try to find or put together a diagram.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Primer
Last photo:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/gm-s...cs-132278.html

Post # 3 has some schematics.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 AM

Mini starter on 350 with points

Thanks for your replies. Here's the progress, so far on the problem. I have connected the battery cable to the B+ terminal on Ford sole. Have connected the pink wire to I terminal on Ford sole. Have connected purple heavy wire to S terminal on Ford sole. Also have black and brown connected there also.( These are in the wiring harness) Have jumper wire 12 ga. from Ford sole. to S terminal on mini and have 10ga wire from M terminal to large terminal on mini. Starter will engage but grinds terrifically. I will try shiming. It appears it wants to walk up on the flywheel gear. Now, I have two wires from fuel pump. One larger, 10-12 ga. and a much smaller one. I connected the larger to the B+ terminal, and the smaller one when touched at S terminal sparks and pump activates slightly. This stuff all worked before I changed starters. Now I'm at another stand-still. The pump is grounded by another wire to frame.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Primer
Last photo:

Not sure about the mini, but standard GM starter bolts are knurled near the threads. This is to reduce the clearance between the bolt and the hole. Using incorrect bolts will cause all kinds of starter alignment problems even if it is shimmed correctly. Your comment that it seems like the starter is trying to walk up the ring gear made me think of this. Did you use the correct bolts?
To run, an engine needs three things. An air/fuel mixture in close to the correct proportions. An ignition source (spark in your case) provided at the proper time. Compression (when starting, this also means that you need a certain amount of speed to make things happen). Assuming your battery is good and fully charged and you are not losing energy at the connections or in the conductor, and if it is cranking, but too slow, chances are good that you are either "wasting" too much energy due to the binding (grinding and moving) or you have a bad starter. This also assumes that, since it was running before, you have an air/fuel mixture that is close enough and you do have spark occurring at the spark plug gap at the correct time. Keep after it and let us know what happens.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Mini Starter on 350 with points

The bolts are correct bolts. The starter is not moving,but the teeth on the bendix seems to not be fitting the flywheel gear.
I still don't know where to connect the fuel pump wires. I think it would start if I could get the fuel there.
Going to check voltage in the wiring and see if there is something there wrong. I have had 3 starters on this motor and I haven't put 100 miles on it. I have tried to check the timing and have had at least 10 people work on this engine and say it is okay. It has a high lift cam and very little vaccum.
I have been working on this streetrod for 20 years or so. I have had this engine in and out 2 times trying to find out what is wrong with it. The first time, I found the rod bearings that were given to me were the wrong ones. They were rubbing on the inside of the crank journals. No wonder I burn-up the first starter. After that it turned over better but not great. Still would not turn over easily when hot. Checked timing many times, changed carb. (650 Holley) But have not checked voltage til now. Engine runs great after running for a while, but at first start it misses when it is revved. I thought I had the bugs out of it so I have been fixing the body, paint interior and etc. Now I'm right back where I started. Any solutions would be appreciated.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.