Hot Rod Forum banner

Wiring my 230v compressor......

15K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
First off I am no electrician! So I recently bought a 60 gallon 6.5hrs for cheap, I planned on running a small extension chord to my dryer outlet. The compressor has 2-14 gauge wires coming off of it white and a black, I was wondering if it would be alright to hook my 8 gauge wires to the 14g with wire nuts? does this make sense?

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome PairOf69's,

220V should have 3 wires coming off of it. As you need two hot and one ground to supply you with 220V.

What is the AMP rating of the compressor? usually 15 to 17 Amps

Dryer plug is what 30Amp maybe 40Amp? If you have a problem with the motor you will not trip the breaker until it's too late. :drunk:

#3 ·
If the supply wire is 8 ga you should have no problem but MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THAT THING GROUNDED!! I always recommend enlisting the help of a pro who can look at this first hand just for safety sake. I am not saying I think you can't do this but to try and get advice from afar can be dangerous since it is all to easy to misunderstand unless one is there to look it over and with electricity being as unforgiving as it is the risk is too great. If you do it yourself please have someone with experience to look it over before turning on the power. If you have 8 ga wire coming from the breaker then you probably have a heavy breaker with the potential to cause some real damage if you make a mistake. :)

#4 ·
a compressor of the size you have likely draws 15-17amps, but calls for a 30A breaker due to startup load. I wouldn't mix and match wires. There are a lot of variables here..like how far is the run of wire, is the run going to be ouside, etc. How far is your breaker panel from the compressor site? Why not just wire it direct? That way you don't have to worry about the drying, plug, etc.
- Drew

#5 ·
IMO that is not a 230 volt compressor. If I read it right you said it had 2/14ga wires coming from it. That usually means 120vt @ 15 amps. Check out the plate on the motor and see what it says for volts and amps. If not too sure call an electrician. If you hook it up to the dryer outlet you could get some serious smokin' happenin'. With a 40 amp breaker its gonna do some damage before it blows. Good Luck and be safe. Afros are out!!! :thumbup:

#7 ·
Most 220 volt compressor motors have three wires..a red, a black , and a green. The red and the back are both hot (110 each) and the green is the ground. If your motor just has two 14 guage wires a white and a black, I would think it was a 110 instead of a 220. In any event you need to check and make sure before you try to hook it up.

#8 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

2 wire 14 gauge IS defiantly NOT 230 VAC...

Black and white are Neutral = white Black= 110 vac, and you must add a ground.

230 VAC in the make up box will look like this BLACK=110 RED=110 (DIFFERENT LEG) WHITE=NEUTRAL=NEUTRAL BUSS, GREEN=GROUND BUSS...

Pull the make up box on the compressor / motor and look at the inside cover plate, most usually have a diagram for 230 vac and 110 vac wiring on it. I assume the compressor may be wired either way..230/110..

The Plug you need (Wall and cord) is akin to a large window a/c unit..has 3 blades at a 45 (or so) degree angle..this is a 110 / 30 /40 or 50 amp plug..A standard 2 prong / ground plug is only 20 amps max, 15 usual..

You will also have to check or upgrade the romex going to that plug for proper gauge..and of course be sure the reset breaker is up to par with the load.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.