Wiring a One Wire GM Alternator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring a One Wire GM Alternator

I'm installing a one wire 120 amp chrome alternator on my engine. I have a one wire alternator on my 327 Chevrolet now. The previous owner ran the one wire (16 gauge) into the wiring harness going under the dash. Can't I just cut that wire off and end it and put an 8 gauge wire from the alternator post to the large post on the starter coming from the battery in the rear?

Thanks~

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I don't like 1 wires but yes that would work. Basically the large stud on the alternator needs to be directly connected to the positive battery source.

Chet
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

That will work as long as your power distribution comes from the same solenoid post.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

One Wire Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
That will work as long as your power distribution comes from the same solenoid post.
Please explain what you mean!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Where is your power to the dash coming from if you abandon the 16Ga wire you mentioned in your 1st post?

I have no idea what you are working on, but you will need to power the fuse box, ignition, acc, etc.

Putting the alternator output to the starter solenoid is ok as long as there is another large gauge wire coming from it to power everything.

Give us a few more details on what you are working on.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
Where is your power to the dash coming from if you abandon the 16Ga wire you mentioned in your 1st post?

I have no idea what you are working on, but you will need to power the fuse box, ignition, acc, etc.

Putting the alternator output to the starter solenoid is ok as long as there is another large gauge wire coming from it to power everything.

Give us a few more details on what you are working on.
I'm working on a '49 Merc Sled with a 327 c.i. motor and a 350 Turbo transmission. Thanks.......Ron
Old 06-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

Above Info will work.
Good wiring Info here> http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml and 1 & 3-wire Alt. Pics here> http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

You may want to install Fuseable Links inline on wires from Solenoid to Interior/Ignition power wire & Alt to Solenoid etc.. for safety.

Fuseable Link Pics & Size Info:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...-gauges2.shtml bottom of page.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-34
I'm working on a '49 Merc Sled with a 327 c.i. motor and a 350 Turbo transmission. Thanks.......Ron
So what is the current generating system in the car. Is it wired for the original generator and electro/mechanical regulator? Or is there an interim modification of the GM 327 which could have a generator or an alternator the latter with an external regulator as with a generator or with an internally regulated alternator.

I have to express some surprise that the B+ wire is a 16 gauge, that's fairly small to hang everything but the starter from, I expect that to be at least 12 and would like to see a 10 gauge wire, especially if you're ever considering adding or have AC and a honking stereo in this project.

Bogie
Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
So what is the current generating system in the car. Is it wired for the original generator and electro/mechanical regulator? Or is there an interim modification of the GM 327 which could have a generator or an alternator the latter with an external regulator as with a generator or with an internally regulated alternator.

I have to express some surprise that the B+ wire is a 16 gauge, that's fairly small to hang everything but the starter from, I expect that to be at least 12 and would like to see a 10 gauge wire, especially if you're ever considering adding or have AC and a honking stereo in this project.

Bogie
Problem solved. I already had a one wire GM small alternator. I put on a 120 amp chrome alternator and run an 8 gauge wire from the back of the alternator to the battery post on the starter solenoid. I clipped the wire and ended it. The fuse panel is getting it's power from a good source. Thanks for all the information. Ron

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.