wiring probs w/ 80s grand prix - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 01:24 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry wiring probs w/ 80s grand prix

i got a 82 grand prix wich i just swaped in a 305 from a 267.

i put the battery in and hooked up the wires to the starter, alt, wiper motor, and front lights. put in a steering colum(previous owner broke the leaver off) from the auto wreckers that is the exact same as mine and hooked everything up.

i turned the key to on, i pulled the leaver on the dash for the lights and the dash lights come on and thats it. the head lights supposed to come on which they didnt. The switch does not seem to be very good because the dash lights kinda flicker in and out when u move the leaver a little. could this be the switch that is causing the head lights to not come on?

on the steering colum ther is the thing for the wipers, The off, on low, on high, and washer fluid with wiper on, when i was turning that it just made a clicking sound. way back like a few days before i pulled my engine out i heard a buzzing sound and i figured out it was the wiper motor and it drained the battery. if that burnt the wiper motor out then would it be clicking or DEAD?

when i got the car i drove it home in day light so i never did use the lights. but i did test them and they did turn on but the brights never worked. the wipers did work though. well the switch for washer fluid/ and wipers(other part was broken).

what the heck is going on? i just want to get it all working for when i take it in for its saftey inspection

Advertisement

Last edited by montea; 03-17-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 04:05 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

OMG what a GHETTO car

i tried the hazzard lights and they worked, buy they were blinking very oddly and there was no ticking in the car. i pulled all the fues out one at a time and i found 1 fuse that was blown, a red one. i replaced it and the head lights still never worked. i got a test light and the wiper motor is getting power(well i guess with the ticking it would be lol). the left turn signal never worked so i found out that the bulb had blown, replaced it and worked fine. then trying the hazards again they didnt work. the one other bulb looked like it was deing. then i just said to myself im gona quit for the night its late, go to close the door and the interior light doesnt go off. ahhhh. i then was moving some wires around where the cd player would be and the light shut off.

the wiring in this car is a disastor

a previous owner must of been doing some mods
Old 03-17-2004, 06:24 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

how would i go about rewiring the lights on this car? like knowing where everything goes.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:29 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Buy a haynes repair manual it should have chasis wiring diagrams in the back
Old 03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

I have been looking for a haynes manual for my car and i cannot find one. so i went and bought one for a monte carlo which is pretty well the same i think.

good news is i put on a new wiper motor and it works.. so now all im worried about is the rear left light bulbs seem to be burning out and the front lights dont work at all, plus the hazzard lights dont flash very healthy lol
Old 03-17-2004, 08:58 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

UPDATE: The Wipers work. washer fluid doesnt(never did) so i will wire in a push button on the bottom of my dash or somthing. turn signals work both ways and it goes tick...tick... tick. Dash lights work fine.

ok for the hazzard lights are they supposed to be the same Pace as the turn signals? they are going about double speed and arnt contasntly same pattern. is the ticking that the singals are from the same as the hazzards? the hazzard ticking does not work.

the head lights dont come on at all, anyone got any ideas? i checked the fues box and found 1 dead fuse. replaced it and they still dont work. the fuse is still good also. the fuse box doesnt have much writing on it so i dont know what they are for.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:37 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

no need for anyone to reply i got it all working.

the head lights didnt have the ground wires hooked up

hazzard lights are acting a bit funny still. but i dont have the front signal light bulbs in so im gathering thats why.

the interior lights work now also. the push button in the door is pretty well junk... works off and on. the light under the dash someone spliced into it 3 differnt places and was cutting it in and out.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.