wiring schematic for stereo install... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I get it, but not really...

Wiki Edits: 0

wiring schematic for stereo install...

I'm once again turning to the braintrust for helping me decide how to run my wire for my stereo install to avoid interference...

See my quick drawing below to follow along:
4AWG power wire - D
Amp lead wire - B
Interconnects - B
wire for sub level remote - B
front speaker wires -A
Ipod hardwire to deck - C

This sound suitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Interference

What kind of interference are you worried about?

The general rule of thumb is to keep wire lengths as short as possible. This will not only reduce resistance, but reduce likeliness of picking up interference. Speaker wires are less likely to pick up audible signals, so make them the beast of burden for length, and keep wires between head unit and amps and any other devices as short as possible.

Keep wires as far away from devices that may cause interference if at all possible.

Use a quality wire, and make sure all components are well GROUNDED!

Finally, if you do get any interference, you can get a filter that goes in line with the power cable that will send most garbage signals (picked up by the cables in the power line or alternators with a noisy output) to ground or filter it out. It's a combination of a capacitor and choke coil (opposes any change in current) and some of them have a second capacitor called a pi filter.

Most high end car stereos now use a super large capacitor in the power circuit to reduce fluctuations when power switching (switched amps) and for short massive increase demands for power (12V). However, these capacitors are so big they are relatively useless for sending audible garbage signals to ground.

If worse comes to worse, although I have never seen it in a stereo ....yet, you can get shielded wire that has a solid or mesh shield over the center conductor. That shield is attached to ground and will protect the center conductor from picking up any stray signals from induction. This should be your last resort though as most RCA cables are already shielded in this way I believe?...so it would likely just be speaker wires...and they aren't likely to pick up much ...unless there's someone with a powerful radio that will bleed into anything you have anyway.

I'd go with your plan and see if you have any problems before chasing gremlins that might not give you a problem.

Steve

Last edited by 58Apache; 09-12-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: clarification and spelling
Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I get it, but not really...

I feel very confident in my plan, I was just getting a final nod I suppose!! HAHA

Basically I know I wouldn't wanna run all of those wires right next to eachother cause I would be destined for audio problems from the big gauge wire juicing my amp!

I'll take you awesome reply as a thumb up?? Thanks Apache

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.