Hot Rod Forum banner

Wiring set up

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
I need help in setting up a 302 Ford conversion in an MGB. The engine is not in the car yet, it is on a test stand. I am trying to get to an initial start on the stand. I am using a GM HEI distributor with integrated coil, a high torque mini-starter and a GM one-wire alternator. I am planning to wire the + battery terminal to the big lug on the solenoid with 4 ga. wire, run 10 ga. wire from the + battery to the battery post on the starter switch, run 10 ga. wire from the big post on the solenoid to the single post on the alternator.

I think I need to wire the S post on the starter switch to the small post on the solenoid and I was thinking I need to run a wire from the other post on the solenoid to the + side of the coil, using GM pigtail connector (10 ga. wire).

Can somebody help me out here and tell me if this is right or, if not, what do I need to do. Should I use 10 gauge wire?

I don't have a remote solenoid, only the solenoid attached to the starter. Do I need a remote solenoid? Do I need to ground to the block or can I ground to the test stand?

#2 ·
Is your starter like the one below? This is the one I have on my 302 in my '54 Ford,notice the wire that comes with this high-torque starter? You do need the external solenoid shown in figure 10, wire it up as shown here:High Torque Mini Starter Installation. PMGR Starter. - FordMuscle Most of the one wire alternators are 100 amp or more you should run at least 6 gauge cable from the alternator to battery+ POS to charge,Do run 10 gauge wire from the external solenoid's "I" terminal to the HEI if you have done it right (check with a test light) power to the HEI will go on and off with the key switch. You can see some of the wiring in the 2nd picture,there are extra wires to feed relays I added for the fuel pump and fan.You should also add an additional 6 gauge cable from the alternator bracket to chassis ground.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
My 2 cents... for a test/run stand purposes.....

4g from battery pos post to starter lug on starter solenoid
4g from battery neg post to engine block
10g from engine block or batt neg post to engine stand
10g from pos battery post (or starter lug above) to alt chg lug
12g from "S" terminal on starter to starter button
12g from other side of starter button to 30 amp fuse then to the pos post on batt (or starter lug above)
14g from HEI coil wire to the engine run On/Off switch
14g from other side of On/Off switch to 30 amp fuse then to the pos post on batt (or starter lug above)
14g from HEI ground wire to engine bolt or stand

flip the ON switch, push starter button.... vroooom, flip the switch OFF........ No vrooom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.