Wiring Switch Box (Painless) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wiring Switch Box (Painless)

I'm looking into getting a switch box for my new 383 (PN: 50302) and plan on adding multiple things to be switched (waterpump, fan, fuel pump, etc.). I was just curious how I should be expecting to wire the positive source to each switch, a splice from an always hot wire directly from the fuse box, or directly from the starter? How do YOU do this? Thanks!

- m

Advertisement

Last edited by mrdreex; 11-04-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM

The description says it has 18 feet of wire, and there is a fuse for each switch, but it doesn't specify the switch rating or fuse amperage.

It depends a lot on what accessories you want to "switch" with this panel. The switches are probably rated at 25 or 30 amps each , which is good enough for many accessories. However, for high amp draw (like cooling fans), you want to use the switch to activate a relay of an appropriate rating (you can find relays rated at 30 amps, 70 amps, etc.).

The easiest way to get power to the switches is to connect about an 8 gauge TXL wire (with 12 gauge fusible link or a maxi fuse) to your starter lug. Then run this wire up to a junction point that is near the switches. Use the hot junction point to connect power to each switch. Connect your accessory or accessory relay to the other side of each switch.

Bruce
Old 11-04-2008, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
The description says it has 18 feet of wire, and there is a fuse for each switch, but it doesn't specify the switch rating or fuse amperage.

It depends a lot on what accessories you want to "switch" with this panel. The switches are probably rated at 25 or 30 amps each , which is good enough for many accessories. However, for high amp draw (like cooling fans), you want to use the switch to activate a relay of an appropriate rating (you can find relays rated at 30 amps, 70 amps, etc.).

The easiest way to get power to the switches is to connect about an 8 gauge TXL wire (with 12 gauge fusible link or a maxi fuse) to your starter lug. Then run this wire up to a junction point that is near the switches. Use the hot junction point to connect power to each switch. Connect your accessory or accessory relay to the other side of each switch.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce. Since all those switches are fused, is it really necessary to run relays for everything? My fuel pump only pulls ~5 amps, so I don't think a relay is needed there. My water pump pulls 11 amps, would I need a relay there? My electric fan setup would pull ~18 amps, so I can see the need for a relay there.

Of course these are all printed on their instructions, with no real numbers tested. Also, I don't know what the switches are rated at, but as long as I have a fuse, I should be safe up to the fused limit, correct? That would definitely save me some money. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdreex
Thanks Bruce. Since all those switches are fused, is it really necessary to run relays for everything? My fuel pump only pulls ~5 amps, so I don't think a relay is needed there. My water pump pulls 11 amps, would I need a relay there? My electric fan setup would pull ~18 amps, so I can see the need for a relay there.

Of course these are all printed on their instructions, with no real numbers tested. Also, I don't know what the switches are rated at, but as long as I have a fuse, I should be safe up to the fused limit, correct? That would definitely save me some money. Thanks.
On higher current devices like fans and most of the fuel pumps now days, YES, you need to run relays. The switches are rated at 20 amps but continusly putting full or close to full amperage throught the switch will severely shorten the life of the switch. I would run a relay on the water pump with the amount of run time it will have. The fuel pump will be fine.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS racing
On higher current devices like fans and most of the fuel pumps now days, YES, you need to run relays. The switches are rated at 20 amps but continusly putting full or close to full amperage throught the switch will severely shorten the life of the switch. I would run a relay on the water pump with the amount of run time it will have. The fuel pump will be fine.
Thanks BJS. This is what I'll probably end up doing.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:04 AM

Sure thing. Any time. If you have any questions you can call me on the Tech. line at Painless.

Jason
Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 AM

I agree with the advice from BJS on switches and relays.

Also remember that electric fans (and maybe water pumps?) usually have a much higher amperage draw at startup, and then go back to a steady state amperage. That initial spike is why you need a good relay, robust wiring, and a fairly high amp fuse. If your fan is rated at 18 amps continuous, it may draw more like 30 amps at startup.

Bruce

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.