Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wiring Tail Lights & Turn Signals
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 07:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I used even another way to get 'em real reflective. My '36 Willys has non-sealed beam headlights that are flush with the back sloping body panels. The focal point in the reflector is off-center toward the top so the light points straight ahead. Anyway, my car was missing the entire light assembly. I didn't want to buy the $550 reproduction units so I made my own. I broke the front out of a standard sealed beam headlight bulb and cast the interior in epoxy. Then I took that male mold and formed it to the a-symmetric shape of the Willys light. Finally I made a couple of fiberglass buckets from this mold. I epoxied a couple of foreign car halogen bulb adapters in my new fiberglass buckets. Now that I had a light, I had to make it shiny. I considered silver paint, Rub 'N Buff, chrome-plating, lining with tin foil, etc., etc. I finally decided to have them vacuum chromed like they 'chrome plate' parts in model kits. There are a couple of guys in the US who offer the service by mail. The buckets came out super shiny and have worked great for many years.